Communicating with Public IM Cloud RRS feed

• Question

• Our federation with Public IMs has been set up and licensing and Public IM side, but having trouble getting connections.  I am troubleshooting now, but any assistance would be appreciated. 

Description:

Neither Communicator client or the AOL/MSN/Yahoo can get prescence or send IMs to each other.   Test users here are enabled for Public IM connectivity and we try to send IM to email addresses and screen names tied to the public IM accounts, user@yahoo.com, user@aol.com, etc., that match the screen name of the public accounts, but they are never received.  

• Yahoo and AOL users configure contacts with the "LCS"  option with the address being the SIP address which is the same as our email.
    • Public DNS records are there and the external cert contains the SIP domain prefixed with the SIP domains we are using <sip.domain.usa.gov> in the SAN field.
    • Monitoring the edge server shows traffic on tcp port 5061 coming in from Public IM IPs and going out with test attempts.
    • We think we have Public IM enabled everywhere we should, users in AD, Edge Server, and pool.
    • The internal and external name of the Edge server is the same, internally it resolves to an internal IP address.  Therefore internal and external certs have same hostname, just in case that could be an issue.
    • Edge server validation test log shows 2 warnings, I think they only relate to federation partners (which we have none yet).  Here they the lines with errors, all else checks out OK.

No WMI Instance Returned By Query : select * from MSFT_SIPFederationPartnerTable
    Found External Edge listening address : 192.168.10.11:5061:TLS - Enabled
    Found External Edge listening address : 192.168.10.11:443:TLS - Enabled

Enhanced Federation Domain Allow List Partner: None Found

I will report back when I find more, but thought I should throw this out there now.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 7:32 PM

All replies

• More info for above post...

Communicator 2007 Clients get this 504 message link in the IM window when attempting communications with either AOL or Yahoo contacts....

Office Communicator 2007 Error ID: 504
    Source: Office Communications Server
    ID: 504
    Explanation
    The server did not receive a timely response from an external server it accessed in attempting to process the request.

Thursday, February 14, 2008 8:50 PM
  •  

You would have got an email from the microsoft provisioning team (I assume that the provisionin part is done!)

That email mentions the SIP domain name and the access proxy name which has been allowed at the AP of PIC domains.

The user SIP URI should be user@SIP DOMAIN NAME

The external certificate should have the access proxy external FQDN (mentioned in the email from provisioning team.)

the external certificate has nothing do do with the SIP Domain.

If you stii have problem let me know. I'll send the step by step to configure your LCS\OCS setup for PIC.

Ram K Ojha
    MCSE 2003 (Messaging), MCTS - (LCS 2005, OCS 2007)
    http://www.ocspedia.com
    http://www.ITCentrics.com

Friday, February 15, 2008 4:32 AM
  • Turns out we had a bad installation with the Edge server, due to previous roles.   Started with a clean ws03 sp2 install and MTLS works fine.  Now on to the next issue which turned out to be the Subject Name of the certificate.   See my other thread on it for more details and the answer... 

Public IM Issue

http://forums.microsoft.com/unifiedcommunications/ShowPost.aspx?PostID=2893968&SiteID=57

Thursday, February 21, 2008 4:11 AM
  • Ram,

We too are having this same problem.  I'm certain our DNS settings, our cert and our server is setup properly.  We never got a confirmation email from Microsoft with the information you describe above, even though we got an email that said we would when we placed the order for the PIC license.  We have called Microsoft and nobody knows how to handle the call and we have worked with our reseller to try to get this resolved, but I'm afraid they haven't been able to help us either.  If you could provide me with these step-by-step instructions that would be great.

Thanks.!
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 4:50 PM
  • How long has it been since you purchase the licenses?  Typically onlce MS putsin the request it takes about 30 days for Yahoo and AOL to setup the configuration for your Edge server on their side.  MSN/Live is usually online much sooner.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Wednesday, April 29, 2009 5:58 PM
  • We put our order in back in late December and got confirmation in late January.  However, the confirmation email said another email was to follow with detailed instructions, and we never got that email.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 3:48 PM