Cannot copy files to shared folders RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have WHS OEM with 46% disk space free.

I cannot copy files from 1 machine to the shared folders.  I get a delayed write failed when using drag/drop or a "specified network name is no longer available".  It puts a file on the server with the correct size and name, but it is corrupt.  I get a disk full error is I try to save from Excel.  Any ideas?

I can copy files from other machines on the network using the same user account.

DF2

Thursday, November 29, 2007 12:16 AM

Answers

• Found it!!!

It was an incompatible nic setting on the server.  I had tweaked the settings trying to increase throughput.  It failed!!

The specific setting was Jumbo Packet Frame size.  I turned it off and I have my connection back!

This is a little obscure, but fair warning to others who are tweaking nic settings for performance!!

DF

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:41 AM

All replies

• Sounds like a typical network error with multiple possible causes.

to pinpoint:

If as you say f this behaviour is found only on one machine it's probably hardware or driver issue to resolve try:

a. NEW network cable

b. Update network adapter drivers

b. Other network  (other brand), or at least different chipset

c. Set card to run at fixed speed (100Base Tx Full Duplex should be OK in most cases)

d. If it's wireless connection try optimizing connection (distance, channel, transmit power, hardware)

Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:29 AM
  • Thnx brubber, but it worked on this machine when WHS was first installed.  The only hardware change has been a switch that was changed.  That should not affect one machine and not the others connect to WHS thru that switch.

So I do not think this is a hardware issue.

Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:35 AM
  • Well, it could if you used a dodgy cable for that machine. Other then that recently installed or updated software (including windows updates and antivirus suites) can also cause this type of problem. Try create fresh restore point and then reset system to restore point well before the problem first appeared. If this doesn't fix you go back to manual restore point

Thursday, November 29, 2007 1:44 AM
  • OK, after changing every cable, I still have the same problem.  Only now, I cannot connect with the connector either.  I can connect from any other machine on the net.  This machine can get to the internet, play online games, and do large file copies to other machines, just not the WHS machine. 

The machine that cannot copy files can see all the shares and can read and copy files off the server, just cannot copy to the server.

It is a network problem of some kind, but not the cables Smile

Any other ideas. (I'll try a couple of restore points tonight)

DF

Thursday, November 29, 2007 11:42 PM
  • Found it!!!

It was an incompatible nic setting on the server.  I had tweaked the settings trying to increase throughput.  It failed!!

The specific setting was Jumbo Packet Frame size.  I turned it off and I have my connection back!

This is a little obscure, but fair warning to others who are tweaking nic settings for performance!!

DF

Friday, November 30, 2007 12:41 AM