Restoring folder structure after reinstall RRS feed

• Question

• I had to reinstall my WHS 2011 operating system over the weekend. Everything is working properly, but I have a particular problem I'm not sure how to fix.

Before install:

I had moved (via "move folder" from launchpad) all of my shared folders (Music, Photos, etc), from my C: drive to my other (F:) drive. 

After reinstall:

The folders from my F: drive do not automatically appear in the launchpad, and the original shared folders are back. If I try to move them to F: I get a "folder with that name already exists" warning.
    If I try to rename the folders on F: I get a "folder is in use" warning.

What I would like to do is consolidate these folders once again. Are there any easy ways to do this that I'm missing here? Presumably I should be able to rename the folders of F:, move the folders from C: over to F, and just transfer all my data into the newly moved folders. Not sure how to accomplish this based on the "folder in use" warning.

Monday, July 16, 2012 2:31 PM

Answers

• I think I stumbled across a solution but will have to wait until I get home tonight to try it. Here it is in case anyone's interested.

1. Log in to your server locally.
    2. Navigate to C:\ServerFolders  
    3. In my case all of thesefolders on the C: drive in the ServerFolders are empty. Delete them.
    4. Load the WHS Dashboard and go to the Server Folders & Hard Drives tab
    5. All of the standard shared folders (Music, Photos, etc) will now have a blank location. Select one of them.
    6. On the right hand side will be "recreate the missing folder". Click it
    7. Browse to desired destination (In my case F:\ServerFolders\<foldername>)
    8. Your folder is now redirected.
    • Marked as answer by Heiny99 Monday, July 16, 2012 3:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Heiny99 Monday, July 16, 2012 3:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heiny99 Monday, July 16, 2012 9:49 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:21 PM

All replies

• I think I stumbled across a solution but will have to wait until I get home tonight to try it. Here it is in case anyone's interested.

1. Log in to your server locally.
    2. Navigate to C:\ServerFolders  
    3. In my case all of thesefolders on the C: drive in the ServerFolders are empty. Delete them.
    4. Load the WHS Dashboard and go to the Server Folders & Hard Drives tab
    5. All of the standard shared folders (Music, Photos, etc) will now have a blank location. Select one of them.
    6. On the right hand side will be "recreate the missing folder". Click it
    7. Browse to desired destination (In my case F:\ServerFolders\<foldername>)
    8. Your folder is now redirected.
    • Marked as answer by Heiny99 Monday, July 16, 2012 3:21 PM
    • Unmarked as answer by Heiny99 Monday, July 16, 2012 3:22 PM
    • Marked as answer by Heiny99 Monday, July 16, 2012 9:49 PM
    Monday, July 16, 2012 3:21 PM
  • Worked like a charm. Hope this helps somebody else.
    Monday, July 16, 2012 9:49 PM
  • Hi,

Glad to know the issue got fixed on your end. Thanks for your share and marking. I believe other guys experience the similar issue will get benefit a lot from your resolution.

Regards,
    James

James Xiong

TechNet Community Support

Tuesday, July 17, 2012 7:48 AM
  • Thanks,

This worked well for me also!

Thursday, December 13, 2012 10:03 AM