locked
User accounts keep getting locked out RRS feed

  • Question

  • Within the past few days I've started having a problem where the user accounts on the home server keep becoming locked out when trying to access the shares on the box. I've verified that the usernames and passwords are the same on all remote PC's and the home server machine. I've tried this on multiple boxes and it is the same result. Oddly enough, if I try to access the WHS via the remoteaccess web page, I can hit it no problem there.

    I've looked at the event logs on the WHS machine and cannot see any security related issues that would cause accounts to be locked out, yet when I look under the users section under administrative tools on the WHS control panel, I have to uncheck the "locked out" box for each.

    This has been tried on 3 different clients running Windows 7 Ent x86 and Windows XP Pro SP3.

    The WHS has all the latest updates including PowerPack 3.

    Any thoughts before I do a reinstall, which I'm hoping ot not have to do?

    Monday, December 14, 2009 5:51 PM

Answers

  • This can happen, if a client attempts to connect with a stored password (click Start/Run, type control keymgr.dll on the client and remove all entries pointing to the WHS here on each client).
    Also if you configured an application or service locally on the server running under a user account with a password, which has been changed in the meantime, this may lead to enough failed attempts to trigger the temporary account lockout.
    You can check the event log of the server in the security log, eventually you can determine, which workstation is issueing the false login attempts.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:02 PM
    Moderator

All replies

  • This can happen, if a client attempts to connect with a stored password (click Start/Run, type control keymgr.dll on the client and remove all entries pointing to the WHS here on each client).
    Also if you configured an application or service locally on the server running under a user account with a password, which has been changed in the meantime, this may lead to enough failed attempts to trigger the temporary account lockout.
    You can check the event log of the server in the security log, eventually you can determine, which workstation is issueing the false login attempts.
    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Monday, December 14, 2009 10:02 PM
    Moderator
  • Make sure the time is right on your WHS.  Mine was off for a couple of days after a fire, set back to 2007.  If the time is not right, it keeps disabling the account.  Hitting internet time was not enough, I had to manually set the time and then let internet time do its thing.

    Greg

    Wednesday, February 22, 2012 2:41 AM
  • Hi Greg,
    thanks for sharing your finds, but doing this by replying to an 2 years old thread is not very recommended.

    Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf

    Thursday, February 23, 2012 7:21 AM
    Moderator