All backups have disappeared - can I get them back? RRS feed

• Question

• I discovered today a drive in my WHS had failed..there are 2 x 500 gig sata drives in my system and the drive that did not contain the WHS OS was the one that had stoped.

WHS reported the backup service was not running, that one of the drives was missing, that the health of a number of folders (all duplicated) needed to be checked, that a number of files were in trouble as it could not find the hardware they were meant to be on, that status of all pc's on the whs were unknown

The steps I took were.

1. Rebooted the PC - nothing changed.
    2. Disconnected the power from the good drive, used the power cord onto the failed drive and booted pc to bios - no drives found..
    3. Connected power cord from failed drive to working drive with os and booted pc to bios - saw 1 x drive
    4. Added 1 x 320gig sata drive to the system, booted pc to bios now x 2 drives found (1 x good and 1 x new)
    5. Booted pc with these x 2 drives in, logged in as admin and saw os find new hardware, requested a restart to complete install of new hardware, I did this
    6. after a restart, logged in as admin, ran whs console and added new drive to the pool
    7. then removed the failed drive from the pool
    8. after 30 mins the whs console reports x 2 healthy drives, all shared folders are healthy

Prob is all pc's not powered up still show unknown backup status, the x 2 pc's that are powered up and connected again to whs via connector software show as 'not backed up' in the whs computers & backup screen of the whs console...

This is a worry for me as at the moment it seems as if I have retained my files (music / pics etc) but in the process lost access to / lost files for the many pc backups spanning the 8 pc's I have registered to my whs.

Can someone suggest some steps I can take to try and recoved all my pc backups please :-)

Thanks, Paul
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 5:09 AM

Answers

• I discovered today a drive in my WHS had failed..there are 2 x 500 gig sata drives in my system and the drive that did not contain the WHS OS was the one that had stoped.

WHS reported the backup service was not running, that one of the drives was missing, that the health of a number of folders (all duplicated) needed to be checked, that a number of files were in trouble as it could not find the hardware they were meant to be on, that status of all pc's on the whs were unknown

The steps I took were.

2. Disconnected the power from the good drive, used the power cord onto the failed drive and booted pc to bios - no drives found..
    3. Connected power cord from failed drive to working drive with os and booted pc to bios - saw 1 x drive
    4. Added 1 x 320gig sata drive to the system, booted pc to bios now x 2 drives found (1 x good and 1 x new)
    5. Booted pc with these x 2 drives in, logged in as admin and saw os find new hardware, requested a restart to complete install of new hardware, I did this
    6. after a restart, logged in as admin, ran whs console and added new drive to the pool
    8. after 30 mins the whs console reports x 2 healthy drives, all shared folders are healthy

Prob is all pc's not powered up still show unknown backup status, the x 2 pc's that are powered up and connected again to whs via connector software show as 'not backed up' in the whs computers & backup screen of the whs console...

This is a worry for me as at the moment it seems as if I have retained my files (music / pics etc) but in the process lost access to / lost files for the many pc backups spanning the 8 pc's I have registered to my whs.

Can someone suggest some steps I can take to try and recoved all my pc backups please :-)

Thanks, Paul

Chances are at least a portion of your backup database was on the drive that failed and therefore you can't recover your backup database.  You will need to start a new backup database for your client PCs.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul151 Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:10 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:32 PM

All replies

The steps I took were.

Thanks, Paul

Chances are at least a portion of your backup database was on the drive that failed and therefore you can't recover your backup database.  You will need to start a new backup database for your client PCs.
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:32 PM
    • Marked as answer by Paul151 Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:10 AM
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 2:32 PM
  • Chances are at least a portion of your backup database was on the drive that failed and therefore you can't recover your backup database.  You will need to start a new backup database for your client PCs.

OK thanks I had held off starting any fresh backups in case there was something I could try to recover the old ones first.

This experience has got me thinking about the merits of have multiple drives in the pool. If I had had say 4 drives in the pool do you think the loss of the backups could have been avoided? In other words would the backup data have been mirrored or in some way recoverable from those drives that remained intact should say 1 of 4 drives fail?
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 9:01 PM

• OK thanks I had held off starting any fresh backups in case there was something I could try to recover the old ones first.

This experience has got me thinking about the merits of have multiple drives in the pool. If I had had say 4 drives in the pool do you think the loss of the backups could have been avoided? In other words would the backup data have been mirrored or in some way recoverable from those drives that remained intact should say 1 of 4 drives fail?

No.  There is no duplication of the backup database on your server because your clients are the backup to your backup database (and vice versa).  If one fails, you still have the other (which is the same concept as Folder Duplication).  If you want to backup your backup database, you can either DIY by following the Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore or use the BDBB add-in.
    Saturday, August 1, 2009 11:16 PM
  • No.  There is no duplication of the backup database on your server because your clients are the backup to your backup database (and vice versa).  If one fails, you still have the other (which is the same concept as Folder Duplication).  If you want to backup your backup database, you can either DIY by following the Technical Brief for Home Computer Backup and Restore or use the BDBB add-in.

Thanks kariya21 very helpful info... I will investigate adding this BDBB add-in after I have backed up all the clients and perhaps added another 2-3 drives... at least one that won't be part of the pool.
    Sunday, August 2, 2009 2:12 AM