How ____ useless is Microsoft support? RRS feed

• Question

• Because Microsoft Vista Service Pack 2 will not install with a third party boot manager (GRUB) it corrupted my Windows installation and I was stuck in a continuous reboot cycle. I wiped my entire laptop and re-installed Windows Vista from the recovery CD and then started re-installing all of my software. I got to a stage where I could start doing work and opened Microsoft Word, then I got a warning that my Microsoft Office was not genuine. I ring the support number and they couldn't help me. Ring the number between 8:00 am and 8:00 pm Monday to Friday.

This is just absolute ____ and ____ useless, if Microsoft are going to stop me from using software I have purchased then they need to have support available when I use my computer.

____ Indian call centres that can't provide the support you need is ____ ridiculous.
    Saturday, July 18, 2009 5:34 AM

Answers

• Since Oz_ollie doesn't appears to want my help and hasn't posted the requested information, I am forced to closing this thread as abandoned.

Marking as Answered,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:55 PM

All replies

• Hello oz_ollie,

In order to receive the best support, we request all users initially download and run the Genuine Diagnostics tool (MGADiag.exe) at this link http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012. Click "Continue", click the "Copy" button then “Paste” the report into a reply message in this thread.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Monday, July 20, 2009 3:07 PM
  • There is no solution to this other than re-installing Windows from scratch (or the OEM restore DVD). If GRUB was a commercial software company they would be lining up with their lawyers looking for millions of dollars compensation for forcing their customers to wipe their software.

Are Microsoft's programmers that incompentent that they can't schedule file replacement during a boot process? Is there really no way to delete an old file during shutdown so the new file can be used during Windows Vista's next boot? Is Microsoft's operating system so screwed up that Microsoft doesn't use modules called by the kernel during boot as required? Is this part of the reason Microsoft copies multiple "profiles" to every workstation someone logs into on a domain instead of just reading the files over the network? Do Microsoft have any idea about modern network based computing environments? Why do Microsoft need several crippled versions of each operating system, when I can take any Mac OS X system and join it to an OpenDirectory server?

Can Microsoft actually release decent software, or does that only happen for the first few versions after they have bought out a small software company?

Saturday, July 25, 2009 8:01 AM
  • Hello oz_ollie,

Ya know there's only one thing worse than a rant on a tech support message board, and that's an OFF-TOPIC rant on a tech support message board.

Please post the report as requested by Darin so that you can be helped.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Saturday, July 25, 2009 1:15 PM

• Since Oz_ollie doesn't appears to want my help and hasn't posted the requested information, I am forced to closing this thread as abandoned.

Marking as Answered,
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, July 29, 2009 5:55 PM