Looking for recomendations RRS feed

• Question

• There isn't really 1 category for my question so I will fire away here.

I just setup a WHS, to replace a NAS box I was previously using for sharing files.

My secondary goal is to attach a media player to my home theater system to play movies
    from the WHS directly to my TV.

So what I'm looking for is two part:

1)  Software for ripping my DVDs for WHS storage and organization.  I wish to be able to keep
    the natural HD quality of the movie, and at least 5.1 sound quality.

2)  Recommended media players that work well with WHS.  I wish to be able to store 100's of movies
    (since my 400 disk DVD jukebox is full) and be able to launch movies quickly.  I'd be okay with movies
    tagged by a number for quick retrieval (since I currently list all our movies on a spreadsheet anyway).

--Thank you!

• Moved by Ken WarrenModerator Monday, February 2, 2009 4:22 PM Not a question about hardware or installation (Moved from Windows Home Server Hardware and Installation to Windows Home Server Software)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 1:53 PM

Answers

• Software for ripping is (sort of) off topic here. I would honestly visit a forum such as The Green Button or AVS Forum for that. You'll find knowledgeable people and a focus on your topic, whereas this forum is for Windows Home Server (which includes some media streaming as one of many capabilities, but it's not the central focus of the product). 

As for hardware, you can either use something that can consume Windows Media Connect 2.0 media streaming, or you can use a device that can be pointed at your server's shares and have it read directly from there. Every device will have it's idiosyncracies and limitations, however, so you may find that there is no device which delivers 100% of what you want. And because the market isn't anywhere near mature, you're not going to be able to get away without doing some (probably lots) of research on your own, since your requirements are almost certainly not going to be my requirements. For example, I'm perfectly happy with an Xbox 360 as a media extender consuming WHS-supplied video, and Roku Soundbridge devices for audio in several rooms.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:34 PM

All replies

• Software for ripping is (sort of) off topic here. I would honestly visit a forum such as The Green Button or AVS Forum for that. You'll find knowledgeable people and a focus on your topic, whereas this forum is for Windows Home Server (which includes some media streaming as one of many capabilities, but it's not the central focus of the product). 

As for hardware, you can either use something that can consume Windows Media Connect 2.0 media streaming, or you can use a device that can be pointed at your server's shares and have it read directly from there. Every device will have it's idiosyncracies and limitations, however, so you may find that there is no device which delivers 100% of what you want. And because the market isn't anywhere near mature, you're not going to be able to get away without doing some (probably lots) of research on your own, since your requirements are almost certainly not going to be my requirements. For example, I'm perfectly happy with an Xbox 360 as a media extender consuming WHS-supplied video, and Roku Soundbridge devices for audio in several rooms.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 2, 2009 4:34 PM
  • I do the same thing.  Google for how to rip your copy protected DVD's to files, there is a ton of info out there, but for playing to your stereo, the cheapest and best solution I found was what I already had, an Xbox 360.  The PS3 can do this as well but doesn't play all the codecs that the 360 does.  I have my 360 wired to my network switch, and from the menus it displays my home server where I can pick "video" and see all the movies, shows, etc that I have.  You can get a traditional remote from MS for the 360 or use a Harmony universal remote which was my choice.
    I can display my pictures, play music, and run all my videos.
    Works great.
    Monday, February 2, 2009 5:45 PM
  • I am personally going to try this

http://www.mymovies.dk/

I think it maybe the solution I have been looking for, but I may have my hopes up too high :-)

It burns the content and x360 or other Media extenders should be able to play...

Chris
    Monday, February 2, 2009 8:01 PM