Windows Home Server 2011 "My Home Server" App For Windows Phone 8 Connection Problems RRS feed

• Question

• Greetings.  I recently upgraded fro a Windows Phone 7 handset to a Windows Phone 8.  The "My Home Server" app still appears in the app store for Windows Phone 8, and it installs without a problem onto the handset, however whenever I enter the URL of my Windows Home Server 2011, I see an error message that says:

"The specified server could not be contacted"  I still have my old Windows Phone 7 handset, and that can connect using the same app and URL without any problems.  It would appear that there is some app incompatibility between Windows Phone 7 and Windows Phone 8.  Can anyone from Microsoft advise if an app update is being looked at?

Cheers

Stephen Anderson

Wednesday, December 19, 2012 3:14 AM

Answers

• ---The specified server could not be contacted

This sounds like a DNS resolution issue. Make sure DNS correctly configured on your phone 8. Can you try with the ip address of the WHS? Please ask in Windows Phone forum to check if WP8 is compatible with the "My Home Server" app.

Windows Phone 8
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Please ask in Windows Phone forum to check if WP8 is compatible with the "My Home Server" app.

With all due respect, the only team at Microsoft that is likely to know anything about this app (and has the wherewithal to test it) is presumably affiliated with WHS (if anyone at all).  Sending us to ask about this very specific server add-on application in a general Windows Phone forum is almost certain to be unproductive, given the nearly non-existent adoption of WHS 2011.

If it doesn't work, the WHS/WSE team should know about it, and should be able to let us know on this forum.  Microsoft, you can do better than this.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:02 PM
  • I was having the same issue, and managed to solve it here,

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/d2e2df77-ed53-49d6-9a70-8e5a4dbff164

• Marked as answer by DechahUS Monday, January 7, 2013 12:20 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 12:09 AM

All replies

• ---The specified server could not be contacted

This sounds like a DNS resolution issue. Make sure DNS correctly configured on your phone 8. Can you try with the ip address of the WHS? Please ask in Windows Phone forum to check if WP8 is compatible with the "My Home Server" app.

Windows Phone 8
    http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/winphone/forum/wp8

Thursday, December 20, 2012 8:53 AM
  • Please ask in Windows Phone forum to check if WP8 is compatible with the "My Home Server" app.

With all due respect, the only team at Microsoft that is likely to know anything about this app (and has the wherewithal to test it) is presumably affiliated with WHS (if anyone at all).  Sending us to ask about this very specific server add-on application in a general Windows Phone forum is almost certain to be unproductive, given the nearly non-existent adoption of WHS 2011.

If it doesn't work, the WHS/WSE team should know about it, and should be able to let us know on this forum.  Microsoft, you can do better than this.

Friday, December 21, 2012 2:02 PM
  • I have WHS 2011, my home server app installed on Windows phone 8, it works fine, never had any issues, I didn't do any special configuration, this response may not fix your issue, but please let me if you want me to check something for you. Hope that I can run this app in background, can't listen to music in background.
    Tuesday, January 1, 2013 4:45 PM
  • I was having the same issue, and managed to solve it here,

http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whs2011/thread/d2e2df77-ed53-49d6-9a70-8e5a4dbff164

• Marked as answer by DechahUS Monday, January 7, 2013 12:20 AM
    Monday, January 7, 2013 12:09 AM
  • Hi BMan21.  Your link solved my problem, thankyou.  My app is now working properly.
    Monday, January 7, 2013 12:22 AM