Lost Key RRS feed

  • Question

  • I have been to this web site and I see no information giving instructions on how to get a replacement CD.  Yes, I too have lost my Windos XP CD but I have all the information that came with it, shipping label, Key, serial number, etc.  This is really frustrating because you are already in a pickle when you get to this point.

    • Split by Stephen Holm Monday, August 18, 2008 7:50 PM Requires separated thread
    Saturday, August 16, 2008 6:00 PM


  • Rdharbis1,

    The right course of action revolves around which kind of License for Windows you have.


    If your Windows XP CD came in a very pretty retail box with an inside four-fold folder and the CD secured on a sponge rubber dot, and the boxtop has the Certificate of Authenticity affixed to it, then you have a retail license for Windows.  Refer to the phone number given for the "Supplemental Parts Team."


    If your Windows came preinstalled on the computer, and there is a Certificate of Authenticity affixed to the case of the computer, or you purchased your Windows CD as part of an OEM license kit that was only the CD, the CoA sticker, and a thin pamphlet shrinkwrapped together, then you have an OEM license for XP.

    There are two varieties of OEM license, major manufacturer (like Dell, HP, Acer, Sony, Toshiba, etc) and systembuilder.  By looking on the CoA you can tell what you have.  The systembuilder license CoA will have "OEM Product" or "OEM Software" printed on it.  The major manufacturer license will have the name of the major computer maker on the CoA.

    If you have a systembuilder license, first contact your systembuilder for a replacement, because they can order replacements from Microsoft free of charge.  If you cannot contact your systembuilder, then use the correct regional link in this section of the referenced article "Media replacement for end-users of system builders' computers" to fill out and send in the form and the money to get a replacement systemnbuilder CD.

    If you have a major manufacturer license, contact the major manufacturer's tech support or customer service.  Quite often the major manufacturer will send you a replacement set of Recovery/Reinstallation CDs for a small charge (eg, Dell charges $15 and eMachines charges $25 last time I checked).  If the major manufacturer is out of stock, you can check at www.restoredisks.com among other places.
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Monday, August 18, 2008 7:52 PM
    Monday, August 18, 2008 6:54 PM