WHS - Client Backup Settings - Backup As Soon As Connected? RRS feed

• Question

• I have several computers backing up to my WHS most of which have some sort of connection to my network for several hours each day.

However, one family member's notebook is only present about once a week, and may be used for just an hour or two during their visit.  I would like to be sure to have that notebook is backed up each visit to my home when it's used.

Is there a setting that I use on the client or the WHS to automatically back up the system as soon as the notebook logs into my network?

Thanks.

Thursday, April 7, 2011 3:26 PM

All replies

• Not exactly what you are looking for... but I have a suggestion... if you don't mind your health indicator showing Yellow.

You could install the Windows Home Server Toolkit add-in on your WHS.  From the Add-in you can configure the number of days without a client backup before the health indicator goes yellow, and red.  If you set that indicator to say 6 days, then when that person logs in once a week, the WHS Tray application will pop up with a warning that the client hasn't been backed up recently..  At which point that user would have to perform a manual backup to get rid of the yellow health indicator.

Unfortunately this yellow health indicator will appear on all PC's on the network until that client gets backed up..

I'm not aware of any way to force WHS to backup a client whenever it's connected to the network.

Friday, April 8, 2011 1:48 PM
  • >I'm not aware of any way to force WHS to backup a client whenever it's connected to the network.

That sure would be an extremely useful capability for laptops.  I wish
    it had that.

It'd be nice to be able to trickle backup over an internet connection
    too.

(If I'm dreaming, I may as well dream big. <g>)

Bob Comer - Microsoft MVP Virtual Machine
    Friday, April 8, 2011 1:52 PM