Backup including more files now? RRS feed

• Question

• In going through the list of files being included, I noticed the 2.0 is including a LOT more files.  A lot of these files are coming from the Local Settings and Application Data personal folders.

I don't believe files in these folders were necessarily backed up in 1.x (Outlook and Windows Mail of course being some of the exceptions).  Is anyone else noticing this?  And why would these folders be backed up?  Seems like in the event of a restore, a lot of files that may not be used (if the corresponding applications aren't reinstalled or still existing) would be included.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 6:03 AM

Answers

All replies

• Good question. I wouldn't want those files backed up - except in the case of the email store, for example, unless other program settings are being picked up. Restoring them could be tricky, of course. I guess I *really* need to spend some time looking at the backup in detail!

-steve

Wednesday, July 25, 2007 5:29 PM
  • Yea, with Norton, I set some folders, in those folders to be added to my backup. Some programs store the preferences in those areas. I would not want the entire local settings folder or entire application data folder backed up though. Temp files FTL.

Thursday, July 26, 2007 9:03 AM
  • And, for further clarification - even if the temp folders are listed as locations that will be scanned for backups, the controlling factor is still "file types" from the list. So, yes, some files may get backed up that you realy don't want or need, if the Local Settings folder is being searched.

-steve

Thursday, July 26, 2007 2:19 PM
  • you can exclude the folders you don't want to backup by going to change settings->backup->configure backup->change settings->what->change this- link->exclude certain folders and files. OneCare does not backup temporary folders, program files, windows folders and certains system files by default.

Tuesday, July 31, 2007 6:57 PM
  • Of course you can exclude these.  But my question is why they're being backed up at all now even though they weren't 1.x.  It seems strange to add all of these files that are more likely to make a mess than anything else.
    Tuesday, July 31, 2007 9:12 PM
  • Can you provide some specific examples of locations and files that are being backed up? If you don't want to post here, file a bug on Connect for the issue.

-steve

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 1:23 AM
  • Actually, I've since uninstalled 2.0 on all computers.  Since I couldn't use the Circle features, I figured I might as well go back to my stable subscription.  But, basically, it was backing up files in every Local Settings/App Data folder.  Of course I don't know what most of these files were for, so they didn't mean much to me.  If I can get access to the Circle, I'll put it back in.  Otherwise, my main computer is carrying the Perpetual, and the others I don't want to leave my family on the beta with.

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:11 AM
  • Heat_Fan1,

See my post in this other thread here in this forum. The reason becomes clear when you start looking at the Exclusions dialog and the removal of the Inclusions dialog from OneCare 2.0.

Make it Simple Please - HOW does one INCLUDE a file with an unlisted file extension?

OneCareBear

Wednesday, August 1, 2007 4:54 AM