problems streaming to my PS3 RRS feed

• Question

• I have a home built sever with an Atholon DCP 4600(2.8GHz) on a Gigabyte GA-MA74GMS2. The problem is hard to explain, when I stream ripped movies, whether it e BR or standard dvd's every so often it glitches, i guess the best way to describe it. My hdtv goes black for a few seconds and then it comes back on. When I use my ps3 to play games, I have wmc disabled. I do have WHS 2008 w/PP2. This brings me to my next thought: do I really want or need a home sever. I am going to build a new system, and don't really want to have 2 boxes. Can I just sell my WHS box and software? Any thoughts, insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Sunday, November 22, 2009 10:19 PM

All replies

• The problems you are having will be from network - is the WHS far from the PS3?
    try and reduce the gap if you can and see if that helps In terms of needing 2 boxes if you already have a WHS setup then I would use that rather than try and stream from you new machine, and at the same time it can backup and mirror important info
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:53 PM
  • The WHS is not far from the PS3 I would guess, 10 feet if that, and my PS3 is hard wired directly from my router: (Dlink DIR-655). The WHs is under a desk not in a closet or anything also if that helps.
    As far as the second box goes, yeah I see backing up and mirroring data is important, that is why, I am contemplating other options. What will work best for me.
    Thought: I tried doing a restore of a laptop from a backup on the whs, I popped the restore cd in and went throught hte prompts, but it hung in trying to find the home server. Then I thought maybe I will try to install the nic driver first, and still no go. Solutions perhaps?
    Thanks again.
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 6:40 PM
  • The WHS is not far from the PS3 I would guess, 10 feet if that, and my PS3 is hard wired directly from my router: (Dlink DIR-655). The WHs is under a desk not in a closet or anything also if that helps.
    As far as the second box goes, yeah I see backing up and mirroring data is important, that is why, I am contemplating other options. What will work best for me.
    Thought: I tried doing a restore of a laptop from a backup on the whs, I popped the restore cd in and went throught hte prompts, but it hung in trying to find the home server. Then I thought maybe I will try to install the nic driver first, and still no go. Solutions perhaps?
    Thanks again.
    If you are trying to restore a 64-bit OS, you need to use the 32-bit version of your NIC driver.
    Thursday, November 26, 2009 3:05 PM