Can I just ignore the hooplah about being genuine or not? RRS feed

• Question

• I don't get it. I bought and paid full price for Office 2007. I'm not about to pay for it again because of a notice from the company that it's not genuine. If I just ignore these warnings that it's going to be declared non-genuine or illegal or whatever in 13 days, what will happen? Will my software stop working? Will the computer blow up? Okay -- sorry. But I'm a little irritated by this "genuine" thing. I tried uninstalling this update but it didn't appear in the list of updates. As I said, I have no intention of paying MORE money for a Microsoft product. So can anyone tell me in reality what is going to happen after my 13 days are up?
    • Moved by Carey FrischMVP Sunday, September 13, 2009 9:46 PM Moved to relevant category (From:Feedback and Comments)
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 8:43 PM

Answers

• If your copy of Office is not genuine, the software will provide periodic reminders to help you take the appropriate action and to help protect your system from the security threat that may be posed by counterfeit software. More Info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810

From your MGA report:

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 108 Invalid VLK
    Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 - 108 Invalid VLK

What this means is, unfortunately, you have a counterfeit copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 installed.  The license (product key) was never issued by Microsoft and was likely created by a software counterfeiter using an illegal product key generator or Key-Gen. Microsoft never received one penny of revenue from the sale of this counterfeit software.

Please see: Details of the genuine Office Complimentary Offer
    Carey Frisch
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Monday, September 14, 2009 7:43 PM
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hello Cabandita,

As Carey posted, your installation of Office 2007 Professional Plus is a volume licensing installation done with a key-gen product key.

Most people who post here with similar circumstances thought they purchased a genuine retail licensed copy of Office 2007 Professional, but after looking at their mgadiag reports and getting some more detail from them, we have to give them the bad news that they got cheated out of their money, and that their seller sold them a pirated copy of a Volume Licensing edition of Office that is not allowed to be sold to individual consumers.

If you have a look at the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ, you can check this part of it http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC  to see if you qualify for either a discounted or complimentary replacement for your nongenuine Office.

The blame for this situation rests firmly on the seller of the software.  May I suggest that you confront the seller with the information in your thread, including the mgadiag report, to demand the Genuine Microsoft office 2007 software you paid for, or a full refund?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:44 AM

All replies

• To help us troubleshoot the issue you are experiencing, please download and run the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool.  Once you run the tool, click on the Continue button, then click on the Copy button and paste the report into your post.  Thank you!

Carey Frisch
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:02 PM
  • Thank you for the offer and suggestion, Carey. But that doesn't really answer my question. My question is this: if I ignore the notices that I have a non-genuine version of Office (or whatever the terminology is) and I just continue to use what I have, what will happen, if anything, after the 13-day period ends that the pop-up keeps warning me about. I realize that Microsoft wants everyone to buy more of their software but I'm not going to do that. I spent $600 already and am not going to spend any more to purchase another so-called genuine version. I just want to know if my software will continue to work for me after Microsoft officially labels it as illegitimate in 13 days time. Do you understand what I'm asking? And do you have an answer for me?  Thanks very much for taking time to reply.

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:24 PM
  • Okay Carey. I went ahead and ran the Microsoft Genuine Advantage Diagnostics Tool. It's says my validation is genuine. So why am I getting notices that it's not??  Pasting in the report below.

Diagnostic Report (1.9.0011.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0

Cached Validation Code: 0x0
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-VRCTY-3V3RH-WRMG7
    Windows Product Key Hash: l2HYuM058SkcIU57PqWaCOL7rEU=
    Windows Product ID: 89576-OEM-7332141-00054
    Windows Product ID Type: 2
    Windows License Type: OEM SLP
    Windows OS version: 6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.006
    ID: {420DE8A0-FDB5-4487-8D21-C05A7B351883}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.9.9.1
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: Windows Vista (TM) Business
    Architecture: 0x00000000
    Build lab: 6001.vistasp1_ldr.090302-1506
    TTS Error:
    Validation Diagnostic:
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: 6.0.6002.16398

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: 100
    Version: 2.0.48.0
    OGAExec.exe Signed By: Microsoft
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: Microsoft

OGA Data-->
    OGA Version: Registered, 2.0.48.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-364-80041010_025D1FF3-229-80041010_025D1FF3-230-1_025D1FF3-517-80040154_025D1FF3-237-80040154_025D1FF3-238-2_025D1FF3-244-80070002_025D1FF3-258-3_E2AD56EA-765-d003_E2AD56EA-766-0_E2AD56EA-134-80004005

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 8.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{420DE8A0-FDB5-4487-8D21-C05A7B351883}</UGUID><Version>1.9.0011.0</Version><OS>6.0.6001.2.00010100.1.0.006</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-WRMG7</PKey><PID>89576-OEM-7332141-00054</PID><PIDType>2</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-3436068807-4239812991-3987323656</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Model>Vostro1510</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>Dell Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>A13</Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="4"/><Date>20081009000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>79323507018400FA</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Egypt Standard Time(GMT+02:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM><OEMID>DELL  </OEMID><OEMTableID>M08    </OEMTableID></OEM><GANotification><File Name="OGAAddin.dll" Version="2.0.48.0"/></GANotification></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>108</Result><Products><Product GUID="{90120000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>108</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>20AE5A5BD2BC586</Val><Hash>Pn9Cmm+hqOY8IFO2S1AtWburYpQ=</Hash><Pid>89409-707-4905485-65785</Pid><PidType>14</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="108"/><App Id="44" Version="12" Result="108"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Spsys.log Content: 0x80070002

Licensing Data-->
    Software licensing service version: 6.0.6001.18000
    Name: Windows(TM) Vista, Business edition
    Description: Windows Operating System - Vista, OEM_SLP channel
    Activation ID: fd3bcb98-5c55-4b2d-ae32-a4515e3c17a3
    Application ID: 55c92734-d682-4d71-983e-d6ec3f16059f
    Extended PID: 89576-00146-321-400054-02-1033-6001.0000-0452009
    Installation ID: 015445183171538961249261346335235295016012545074531636
    Processor Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43473
    Machine Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43474
    Use License URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43476
    Product Key Certificate URL: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkID=43475
    Partial Product Key: WRMG7
    License Status: Licensed

HWID Data-->
    HWID Hash Current: PgAAAAIAAwABAAIAAwACAAAAAwABAAEAeqjOpHxUzVA01FBiRoNybKIePEmIyvJF8vRuLr9ovPt2I6xWKoU=

OEM Activation 1.0 Data-->
    N/A

OEM Activation 2.0 Data-->
    BIOS valid for OA 2.0: yes
    Windows marker version: 0x20000
    OEMID and OEMTableID Consistent: yes
    BIOS Information:
      ACPI Table Name OEMID Value OEMTableID Value
      APIC   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      FACP   TOSCPL  CRESTLNE
      HPET   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      BOOT   PTLTD   $SBFTBL$
      MCFG   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      TCPA   Intel   CRESTLNE
      TMOR   PTLTD          
      OSFR   TOSHIB  A+2nd ID
      APIC   INTEL   CRESTLNE
      SLIC   DELL    M08   
      SSDT   SataRe  SataAhci
      SSDT   SataRe  SataAhci
      SSDT   SataRe  SataAhci
      SSDT   SataRe  SataAhci
      SSDT   SataRe  SataAhci

Sunday, September 13, 2009 10:49 PM
  • If your copy of Office is not genuine, the software will provide periodic reminders to help you take the appropriate action and to help protect your system from the security threat that may be posed by counterfeit software. More Info: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/949810

From your MGA report:

OGA Data-->

What this means is, unfortunately, you have a counterfeit copy of Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007 installed.  The license (product key) was never issued by Microsoft and was likely created by a software counterfeiter using an illegal product key generator or Key-Gen. Microsoft never received one penny of revenue from the sale of this counterfeit software.

Please see: Details of the genuine Office Complimentary Offer
    Carey Frisch
    Monday, September 14, 2009 12:05 AM
  • Hello Cabandita,

As Carey posted, your installation of Office 2007 Professional Plus is a volume licensing installation done with a key-gen product key.

Most people who post here with similar circumstances thought they purchased a genuine retail licensed copy of Office 2007 Professional, but after looking at their mgadiag reports and getting some more detail from them, we have to give them the bad news that they got cheated out of their money, and that their seller sold them a pirated copy of a Volume Licensing edition of Office that is not allowed to be sold to individual consumers.

If you have a look at the Office Genuine Advantage FAQ, you can check this part of it http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/downloads/FAQ.aspx?displaylang=en&sGuid=4ba10af9-ffaa-4cb9-9af4-6aff8a220262#ID0EKNAC  to see if you qualify for either a discounted or complimentary replacement for your nongenuine Office.

The blame for this situation rests firmly on the seller of the software.  May I suggest that you confront the seller with the information in your thread, including the mgadiag report, to demand the Genuine Microsoft office 2007 software you paid for, or a full refund?
    For great advice on all topics XP, visit http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp
    Monday, September 14, 2009 3:44 AM
  • Dan at IT Associates. This is a royal PAIN and I'm angry! I've reviewed the website info about qualifying for replacement offer; i.e.:
    A:

For those customers who have unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Office, Microsoft has created two genuine Office offers for those who qualify:

• Genuine Office Complimentary Offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Office 2007 Professional Edition available for those customers who have been sold counterfeit Office. To qualify, customers will be required to submit proof of purchase, a counterfeit report, and a high-quality counterfeit CD.

The problem is that I purchased my Office 2007 through Amazon in January and it was shipped to me. But I've since moved to South Africa. Even if I do package and ship back my proof of purchase, report and counterfeit CD . . . a) where do I ship it to? -- I couldn't locate ANY information about where to send it our how; and b) will Microsoft ship my replacement version to me in South Africa? I also read in the FAQs that Microsoft will pay for shipping. Does this apply to anywhere in the world or only if you live in the good ol USofA? Is there a Microsoft location in South Africa that one can send the required counterfeit stuff to in order to receive the complimentary copy of Office 2007 Professional? I'm running out of time. Please respond quickly.

Monday, September 21, 2009 6:02 PM
  • Hi Carey. I've reviewed the website info about qualifying for replacement offer; i.e.:
    A:

For those customers who have unknowingly purchased a counterfeit version of Office, Microsoft has created two genuine Office offers for those who qualify:

• Genuine Office Complimentary Offer: Microsoft will make a complimentary copy of Office 2007 Professional Edition available for those customers who have been sold counterfeit Office. To qualify, customers will be required to submit proof of purchase, a counterfeit report, and a high-quality counterfeit CD.

The problem is that I purchased my Office 2007 through Amazon in January and it was shipped to me. But I've since moved to South Africa. Even if I do package and ship back my proof of purchase, report and counterfeit CD . . . a) where do I ship it to? -- I couldn't locate ANY information about where to send it our how; and b) will Microsoft ship my replacement version to me in South Africa? I also read in the FAQs that Microsoft will pay for shipping. Does this apply to anywhere in the world or only if you live in the good ol USofA? Is there a Microsoft location in South Africa that one can send the required counterfeit stuff to in order to receive the complimentary copy of Office 2007 Professional? I'm running out of time. Please respond quickly. Thanks. Cabandita

Monday, September 21, 2009 7:10 PM
  • Hello Cabandita,

Your first option is to contact the Seller for refund or replacement with Genuine Software.

If that is not feasible or does not work out, then you may want to review the FAQ to see if you qualify for the Discounted or Complimentary Office Offer.  If you think you do, then click on Learn More when the Office Genuine Advantage Notifications Utility informs you that your Office is nongenuine.  At some point you will see information on how to fill out a piracy report and further information on how to submit your materials for evaluation as hi-quality counterfeits.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 10:45 PM
  • Dan, I appreciate your response but it seems like you aren't actually reading mine. Let me restate my questions. Again. 

First, I've already contacted the Seller and have heard nothing. Otherwise why would I be spending time in this forum? Secondly, I'VE ALREADY GONE THROUGH ALL THE FAQs to see if I qualify for the Discounted or Complimentary Office! Excuse me for shouting but did you notice that I copied the FAQ on that topic into my previous email??? Third, did you see my question with regard to that statement? It says quote: To qualify you must send blah blah blah." What it doesn't say and what I am asking is 1) WHERE do I send my blah blah blah and 2) I'm now living in South Africa. Do I have to ship it to some as-yet-unknown US address or is there a place in South Africa to do that? In other words, I can't find out if I qualify for the discounted or complimentary office offer if I don't submit the required documents and CD but I don't know WHERE to submit them. You stated "AT SOME POINT you will see information on how to fill out a piracy report and further information on how to submit your materials for evaluation as hi-quality counterfeits." Where is that point? Where is the further information? I need a URL. And I need to know if I can take care of this in South Africa or not.  

Again, I apologize for yelling -- obviously it's not your fault. But I'm irritated by getting answers that aren't answers. What we need is GENUINE help from Microsoft if Microsoft is going to make things difficult for innocent victims like me just because they want more money for their products. If you have legitimate answers to my questions (see 1 and 2 in the previous paragraph) then I would love to hear from you again.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:37 AM
  • Hello Cabandita,

I wrote, " If you think you do, then click on Learn More when the Office Genuine Advantage Notifications Utility informs you that your Office is nongenuine.  At some point you will see information on how to fill out a piracy report and further information on how to submit your materials for evaluation as hi-quality counterfeits."

The current Office Genuine Advantage Notifications Utility was extensively reprogrammed and as I understand it, it operates more like the one for Windows XP.  I have not yet seen the new screens, and I do not know of anyplace on Microsoft.com that has the screenshots, so I cannot give you a screen-by-screen description of what you need to do.  But based on the one for Windows XP, it has to work something like this:

1.  Notification that you have nongenuine software

2.  Prompts to get you to learn more

3.  Prompts to do something about it, which is going to be

3a.  Buy software
    3b.  Submit a piracy report

4.  Somewhere along the piracy report branch is going to be the part where you submit your materials for evaluation.  The submissions procedure is localized, meaning that each country or region will have a more-or-less nearby place to send the materials.

So, work your way thru the Notifications Utility.  When you find out the clickpath for getting to the part where you submit your materials for evaluation, come back here and educate us on how you got there so we can pass it on to others.
    Tuesday, September 22, 2009 2:03 PM