WHS claims I need more room to move over files - Just added 1 TB drive RRS feed

• Question

• I looked through FAQS, stickies, and googled, but did not seem to find the answer, so hopefully I am not asking something that is already addressed.

Yesterday I received a new 1 TB SATA WD Green series HD. I added it to the server storage pool through the console, and then removed a 160 gig SATA Seagate HD through the console (putting it in a friends build).

Well everything went OK, but as I was going to move over files from my desktop to the WHS box this morning, it claims that I need 20.1 GB more room when I try to move over 45 GBs of my video project files. No matter what folder I try to copy it too, I get the same error message.

Now I know when you initially set up the WHS box it says to install WHS to the largest HD, which I did install to the largest at the time, so I'm hoping that I don't have to remove the now smaller drives from the pool and do a reinstall. The following is my setup, as well as drive space according to the console:

Windows Home Server PP1
    ECS Motherboard (Don't recall exact model off hand, it came with a Fry's bunde)
    Celeron 430-L Conroe 1.8 GHZ
    2x1 Gig of Crucial DDR2-667
    150 Rocketpoint SATA/ATA Controller Card (had to add since four of HD's are PATA, and only had one PATA port on the motherboard).

Harddrives are:

PATA Maxtor 300 Gig - This is the system drive.
    PATA Maxtor 200 Gig
    PATA WD 180 Gig
    PATA WD 120 Gig
    SATA WD 1 TB

Under server storage it claims my total size is 1.64 TBs, and free space as 806.12 GBs.

Can anyone clue me in as to what may be going on?

Thanks in advance!

ETA: Using the disk management add-in, the largest free space showing on any of the drives besides the 1 TB one is the 300 Gig Maxtor. It lists the free space as 24 GBs, and that happens to add up to the amount of space it claims I need when I subtract the amount that it says I need from the amount that I am trying to move over. I wonder if that is any clue as to what is going on.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 3:10 PM

Answers

• It sounds like you don't have the latest updates to WHS. Please check the version in your WHS console:
    • Start the console and log in
    • Click on Settings, then Resources.
    • On the right, you will see a list of components and versions.
    Let us know what versions are reported for each component.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:40 PM
  • What you are describing sounds like one of the issues fixed in November Home Server update.

Do you have Windows Update enabled on your server? Could you verify for me that you have this update installed? If you don't, I'd highly suggest it as in addition to the issue you are seeing it also has a few other useful fixes. 

A quick way to know is from a Vista client, map a network drive to your Home Server and then note the space it claims is free in (My) Computer.

Friday, December 5, 2008 4:43 PM

All replies

• It sounds like you don't have the latest updates to WHS. Please check the version in your WHS console:
    • Start the console and log in
    • Click on Settings, then Resources.
    • On the right, you will see a list of components and versions.
    Let us know what versions are reported for each component.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, December 5, 2008 4:40 PM
  • What you are describing sounds like one of the issues fixed in November Home Server update.

Do you have Windows Update enabled on your server? Could you verify for me that you have this update installed? If you don't, I'd highly suggest it as in addition to the issue you are seeing it also has a few other useful fixes. 

A quick way to know is from a Vista client, map a network drive to your Home Server and then note the space it claims is free in (My) Computer.

Friday, December 5, 2008 4:43 PM
  • Wow, ever have one of those days where you feel really stupid? I am having that day.

I had forgotten that I had turned off automatic updates on all of my computers a couple months back as I was having network troubles (bad router) and it would choke my connection.

Well, I went ahead and just installed all the new updates for WHS, and voila, problem solved.

Thanks to both of you for the suggestions, and sorry for the brain lapse.
    Friday, December 5, 2008 5:45 PM