Where does the invoice number come from? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

Quick question.  When you create an invoice it gives it a number like INV-00001-WJDAXC  I understand the first 2 fields as in "INV" stands for invoice and "00001" is just an incremental numbering system in CRM, but where does the random characters come from i.e. "WJDAXC"?  Everytime I create an invoice it comes up with a new set of 6 characters.

Cheers,

Craig
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 3:58 AM

Answers

• Hi Craig,

It's created randomly from CRM, you can adjust the number of letters that get displayed either 4, 5 or 6 characters under Settings-> Administration-> Auto Numbering then under the invoice tab.

Hope this helps
    • Marked as answer by Craig R Wednesday, November 25, 2009 1:44 AM
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:43 AM
  • The autonumber suffix is supposed to be a global unique identifier so that if your company and my company are both using Dynamics CRM and we sent each other invoices INV-00001, then there will be an additional indetifier, the 4 to 6 character suffix, that makes each invoice number completely unique.

In practice, many organisations don't need it, and occassionally we've implemented a trimmed version of the number which chops off the suffix to make them appear more user friendly (especially for support cases).

Neil
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:35 AM

All replies

• Hi Craig,

It's created randomly from CRM, you can adjust the number of letters that get displayed either 4, 5 or 6 characters under Settings-> Administration-> Auto Numbering then under the invoice tab.

Hope this helps
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 9:43 AM
  • The autonumber suffix is supposed to be a global unique identifier so that if your company and my company are both using Dynamics CRM and we sent each other invoices INV-00001, then there will be an additional indetifier, the 4 to 6 character suffix, that makes each invoice number completely unique.

In practice, many organisations don't need it, and occassionally we've implemented a trimmed version of the number which chops off the suffix to make them appear more user friendly (especially for support cases).

Neil
    Tuesday, November 24, 2009 10:35 AM