Pause Backup RRS feed

• General discussion

• WHS needs a backup pause button. I found that the initial backup of 200 GB of data bogged down both my network and machine. My only choices were to either let the backup continue and screw up my network for all other users and make my machine molasses-like or to cancel and have to start again.

This all-or-nothing method makes the experience of initializing my network unacceptable and suggests to me that my current way of backing up is far superior to WHS.

Furthermore, I should be able to throttle the WHS backup so as limit its ability to hog the router.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:49 PM

All replies

• Well, these options would be nice, but the design of WHS is to have it run when your not using your machine so you don't notice the performance impact. After the first time you setup a PC with the Connect software, leave it on overnight and the backups will happen as you sleep. After the first backup, all other backups should be pretty painless as it's only updating what's changed on your system.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:15 PM
  • The initial backup pain may mean that WHS is killed before it ever gets to the stage you are talking about.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 3:52 PM
  • A lot less painful over time then doing backups the old way, IMO, and certainly better when you can completely restore your PC to a previous time, exactly as it was, by popping in a CD and waiting.

I dunno, when I chose the option to Backup now, I'm pretty much expecting to not use that machine for much till the backup is done. If I want to use the machine, but have it backed up, I'll leave it on Standby overnight for that first backup, or set it to backup and go use another one of my PC's.

Considering I'm in control of the backups, when they start and run, I don't see much issue here. It's not like your Anti-Virus that just starts running when it wants and hogs up your resources while doing it.
    Thursday, February 22, 2007 4:04 PM
  • Thus far my experience with WHS is contrary to what you are saying. I have a simple backup program I use to only back up data. It works pretty fast and unobtrusively. I long ago gave up any interest in "imaging" my machine for backup purposes. If one computer goes down I can always use my data on another and bring up the failed machine when I can. This actually takes me less time in total than trying to keep images current.

WHS was obtrusive after I set it up yesterday, not only to me but the rest of my family. They couldn't use the internet since my router was giving WHS most of its focus. I solved this initial problem by hooking my computer to the router by cable rather than wirelessly as it had been connected. It still took over 12 hours to back up at 100 Mbps LAN connection. My machine was useable but just barely during that backup. My wife has instructed me not to connect her machine on the WHS. I have many other computers that I can use to continue my testing so all is not lost.

I am beta testing WHS to see if I will be recommending it to my residential clients. This initial experience is off-putting since my credibility will be on the line and not Microsoft's.

Thursday, February 22, 2007 5:03 PM
  • A pause would be very helpfull in any case. I already found out that if you cancel a backup on a large drive you have to start over. Your initial backup can take forever under these circumstances...
    Thursday, March 1, 2007 9:15 PM