none
Can WHS 2009 and WHS 2011 Co-Exist? RRS feed

• Question

• Hello:

Currently I have WHS 2009 running with about 8 workstations.  I plan on getting a new hardware box with WHS2011.  During the transition, can I have both running on the same network?  I will turn off the automatic backups on the old version.

Some possible issues:

(1) Can I have both the 2009 and 2011 connector software running on the same 8 workstations?
    (2) Will there be any interference between the two servers?

I would like to run the old version, since it has backups that go back about a year, and sometimes I might need the files on the older WHS 2009.

Regards, 

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Monday, November 14, 2011 8:22 PM

Answers

• Welcome back. No problem having both servers on the same network (I did for a while as I was moving to WHS2011 but now have only 2011). However, the limitation is that you can only have one or the other connector installed on a Client, not both. Consequently, you will only be able to backup your clients to one server or the other without removing the Connector software and reinstalling the alternative. You can "Manage" both servers from a single machine by RDC to the one without the Connector installed and running the Dashboard that way directly on the second server. Alternatively, you can run a VM (I use XP Mode on W7) and install the other connector on that.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:36 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 10:37 PM

All replies

• Welcome back. No problem having both servers on the same network (I did for a while as I was moving to WHS2011 but now have only 2011). However, the limitation is that you can only have one or the other connector installed on a Client, not both. Consequently, you will only be able to backup your clients to one server or the other without removing the Connector software and reinstalling the alternative. You can "Manage" both servers from a single machine by RDC to the one without the Connector installed and running the Dashboard that way directly on the second server. Alternatively, you can run a VM (I use XP Mode on W7) and install the other connector on that.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    • Marked as answer by RichLocus Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:36 AM
    Monday, November 14, 2011 10:37 PM
  • First: "Windows Home Server 2009" doesn't exist. V1 was released in 2007. V2 ("Vail") was released a few months ago. There is no version between them...

Searching would have answered your first question, regarding the connector, pretty easily. Searching first is better than asking a question to which the answer is likely to be "Searching would have showed you ..." :)

As for "interference", you can only have on Remote Access web site functional at a time. Otherwise, the two servers shouldn't interfere.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Tuesday, November 15, 2011 5:41 AM
  • Hello Ken:

Thanks for the additional information.  I usually always search first.... just a bit rushed today with clients.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

Regards,

Rich Locus, Logicwurks, LLC

http://www.logicwurks.com

Tuesday, November 15, 2011 6:36 AM