Remote Transfer Failures RRS feed

• Question

• Hello All,

I have recently began testing a new WHS installtion, I did all of the updates so I beilive I am working with WHS with SP1.

Have 2 major questions:

1: When I attempt to tarnsfer large files remotley through the console, smaller files work fine but larger files seem to fail. I have tried all I know to resolve the issue maybe some of you guys have had the same problems and can help?

2: I think this isn't a WHS problem but I struggle with transfer speed. One, over the remote console I know my speed is locked into my ISP provider but should I do bettr than 500KBS with afios connection on both ends. Two, cline to sevrer speed on a 100MB network never moves faster than 10MB were do I begin to solve my problems.

Thank you all and this is a great forum and a great product.
    Friday, December 19, 2008 11:58 PM

Answers

• The remote access web site, by default, will time out on a file transfer after 20 minutes. This can be changed if you install the Windows Home Server toolkit.

The large file issue you mention could also be because the file is too large. WHS has a limit (which can't be adjusted) on the maximum size of file that can be transferred. How large a file are you attempting to transfer?

As for network speeds, you'll have to take the question regarding your FiOS connection up with Verizon. When you say your home network is 100 Mb, however, you should realize that that is 100 megabits, not megabytes. (Assuming your network is 100Base-TX, which you appear to be saying.) So if you're seeing 10 megabytes per second, that's pretty darned good on a 100 Mb connection. :)

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:38 AM

All replies

• The remote access web site, by default, will time out on a file transfer after 20 minutes. This can be changed if you install the Windows Home Server toolkit.

The large file issue you mention could also be because the file is too large. WHS has a limit (which can't be adjusted) on the maximum size of file that can be transferred. How large a file are you attempting to transfer?

As for network speeds, you'll have to take the question regarding your FiOS connection up with Verizon. When you say your home network is 100 Mb, however, you should realize that that is 100 megabits, not megabytes. (Assuming your network is 100Base-TX, which you appear to be saying.) So if you're seeing 10 megabytes per second, that's pretty darned good on a 100 Mb connection. :)

Saturday, December 20, 2008 12:38 AM
  • Mr. Warren,

I would like to say thank you for the quick response. I also did find the information about the toolkit installed it and moved forward without problem. Well maybe not without problem as one of my buddies system continues to time around 10 minutes. I change the length to 60 minutes but maybe its a problems on his end. I will attempt to download the same file from another location.

You may have also corrected me on another misconception. You are right I have a 10/100 local network and get around 11MB/s as a transfer rate with Teracopy is that ok or am I really slow.
    Saturday, December 20, 2008 5:46 AM
  • The theoretical maximum throughput on a 100Base-TX network is around 11 megabytes per second. Teracopy usually gets very close to this, on a normal, uncongested network. If there is any network congestion (perhaps multiple PCs all trying to use the network at once), then overall throughput will go down. So I would say that you are getting excellent throughput on your network.
    Sunday, December 21, 2008 2:23 PM
  • Hi Ken
    You mention above:
    WHS has a limit (which can't be adjusted) on the maximum size of file that can be transferred.

Do you happen to know the maximum file size? I searched the forum and the internet and couldn't find it stated anywhere.

Thanks!
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:00 PM
  • I believe it's 2 GB but would have to test (again; I did so many months ago) to be sure. I'm not positive where this limit comes from; probably it's part of either IIS or the tools that Microsoft has used to enable the file upload feature. In either case, there's no way for an end user to remove (or change) the limit. And you wouldn't want to anyway; the uploaded file is always written to the C: partition of your server before it's moved into the shares, and an arbitrarily large file could fill the entire partition and possibly crash your server.
    Friday, February 6, 2009 4:11 PM