none
Money 2004 RRS feed

• Question

• After many years working perfectly suddenly stopped recognising password.  I can't access any of my back up files either.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 7:53 PM

All replies

• Do you remember the password? Write it down... If you don't remember the password, you are out of luck until you remember the password.

If you do remember the password, I hope the problem is with the installation. I suggest downloading the appropriate installation file using a link on the first posting on this forum. When you reinstall, let's hope that fixes the problem. 

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 8:28 PM
  • Looking through the various threads it looks like lots of people have had the same problem and there doesn't seem to be a definitive answer, at least I haven't seen one. Thanks for your reply thoug.
    Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:12 PM
  • Do you have an example or two? Did those people  remember their passwords?

Some of those you might have seen are  people who reinstalled Money 2005 (many of whom thought it was Money 2004) from their original disk, which I presume does not apply to you.

Tuesday, April 23, 2013 9:21 PM
  • 1. Sign in to open Money 2. Email Address .... @hotmail.com 3. Password ..... I have tried all the passwords I've ever used and none of them opens the file. When I click on 'find password' the URL says 'g.msn.co.uk/1MCUKENRDIRECTORS/2005_0267 and comes up with 'This page can't be displayed' - make sure the web address g/msn.co.uk is correct - look for the page with your search engine - refresh the page in a few minutes g/man.co.uk - problem with website security certificate. Contravenes Nominet UK naming rules - domain contains too many parts. Taken from thread: www.justanswer.com/computer /366bi-know-mms If I try to open 'work offline' it says 'Passwords for Microsoft.NET Passports cannot contain special characters and cannot be blank. Enter a valid password'. It does NOT accept any password. I have looked at msn.com which opened MSN UK - Outlookand checked my account and current password and they are fine. Once upon a time whatever password was on here opened Money. My program is 2004 but I downloaded 2005 when someone suggested it may help. It hasn't! I even opened a new money account rejecting the passport option and it opens perfectly, but of course no data from the last 9 years. When I tried to open old file from this one it just reverted back to asking for a password.
    Wednesday, April 24, 2013 6:24 AM
  • Sorry, but the encryption is strong.

Stating that Money is asking for an email address shows this file is using Passport/LiveID security. Note that the email address part is not case-sensitive. You will need to enter the email address that you entered back then, even if that email address is no longer active.

The password part is case-sensitive. You might try different capitalization (capitalisation?)  for the various passwords that you remember using from back then.

Check notes where you might have written down your password.

If you have a Money Disk that says "Microsoft Money" but does not say "Microsoft Money 2004" but does say "Copyright 2004", that is "Microsoft Money 2005 UK". Do not use that disk.

We had one poster remember the old credentials after a period of struggling. It is a long shot. Keep a pad of paper by your bed.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 2:16 PM
  • This is weird. I put a question on this forum on Sunday having had exactly the same problem occur over the weekend. My Money 2004 is definitely the 12 version and my sign in page had my details remembered so that I only had to click the sign in button but now it is asking for Microsoft Passport log in. I remember the password that the sign in page remembered but that was not a Microsoft Passport as I didn't want to use online services. I do remember years ago signing up to Microsoft Passport but I often wondered why I had it as I never seemed to need it. I am sure that I have the right e-mail address but it won't seem to recognise any of the passwords I can remember and I didn't have many variations back then. 

I can't do more at the moment as I am going on holiday early tomorrow but I will sit down with all my lists and try again once I get back.

It just seems very strange to me that 2 people have found their way to this forum with exactly the same fault in about 3 days.

Wednesday, April 24, 2013 5:07 PM
  • After coming back from holiday I tried every option I could think of and to no avail. So I set about starting a new file and spent hours entering in bank and credit card details from beginning of year. Suddenly today I went back to my old file for another try and I could not believe it when it suddenly opened and I had tried that password previously and it would not work. I am now over the moon and have set it up to ignore the internet and use an ordinary password. It seems patience is a virtue after all.
    Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:40 PM