Default Routing Domains for SIP in OCS 2007 RRS feed

• Question

• I haven't been able to find any information on Default Routing Domains in OCS 2007 and am new to this platform.

What is the purpose of having a default routing SIP domain for OCS 2007? If I have multiple SIP domains to support in a single AD forest, which SIP domain should be the default.

Basically I am trying to understand how the default routing domain affects your OCS topology and what considerations should be followed while making the selection.

Tuesday, January 27, 2009 12:26 PM

Answers

• Hi,

Internal Domains are to make sure you route the SIP traffic to your internal Pool not to outside organization. You can have multiple routing domains if you use multiple SIP URI's in your organization. You have to select atleast one routing domain as a default. Default routing domain is nothing but most of your users use. You can use any of your SIP domain as a Default but i suggest to use the same as your email domain.

Jithendranath Reddy
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:29 AM
  • Yes,
    Its same concept.
    Jithendranath Reddy
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 3:40 AM

All replies

• Hi,

Internal Domains are to make sure you route the SIP traffic to your internal Pool not to outside organization. You can have multiple routing domains if you use multiple SIP URI's in your organization. You have to select atleast one routing domain as a default. Default routing domain is nothing but most of your users use. You can use any of your SIP domain as a Default but i suggest to use the same as your email domain.

Jithendranath Reddy
    Thursday, January 29, 2009 10:29 AM
  •  If its not too much of a task for you could you please explain with the following example:

AD domain: contoso.local

AD Child domain: child.contoso.local

Exchange SMTP domain: contoso.com

SIP domain - adatum.com for root domain users,  fabrikam.com for child domain users, etc

How is routing handled here?

I am not able to follow the following excerpt from Technet:

On the SIP domain used for default routing page, select the SIP domain that you want to use for default routing. The default SIP domain is used to construct server SIP URI, which in the simplest form is [ServerFQDN]@[DefaultSIPDomainFQDN].

In new deployments, root domain is always proposed as the default SIP domain. For existing deployments, if no default SIP domain exists, all existing SIP domains appear as possible options and the wizard selects one domain randomly as the default routing domain. If a default SIP domain already exists, the wizard populates the list with all existing SIP domains and selects that default SIP domain. In all above cases, you can always type in a new domain FQDN for the default SIP domain or use the list to select another existing domain as the default SIP domain.

Thursday, January 29, 2009 5:58 PM
  • Hello,
    Here you can select either adatum.com or fabrikam.com as a default routing domain but make sure you add both of them in your SIP domain list. In your case how are you going to design your external user access? if you have adatum.com and fabrikam.com then you have to create Multiple DNS zones in External DNS and SRV and A records in this two domains. Its good Idea to consolidate your SIP domains as your users email domain like contoso.com so that all your users will have single SIP domain and its very easy to manage and to create certain DNS records.
    Jithendranath Reddy
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:27 AM
  • So basically you can set any SIP domain (which could also be an AD domain) as default routing domain as long as it is in the SIP list, right? There are no considerations or best practices while choosing the default routing domain?

Is it same as Exchange concept wherein a user has one Primary SMTP domain and multiple secondary SMTP domains?
    Saturday, January 31, 2009 6:28 PM
  • Yes,
    Its same concept.
    Jithendranath Reddy
    Sunday, February 1, 2009 3:40 AM