Will this new anti malware software be just as good? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,
    Will this new free software that they are going to replace windows live one care with be as good?
    Does anyone know what sort of functions it will have?
    Is it an always on protection software like Windows Live One Care?
    Will it be as good as competitors which are paid services i.e. AVG, BitDefender, Norton etc.?
    (a bit of a dumb question now but my brain is addled) does anti malware mean that it covers anti virus, anti spyware, anti adware stuff?
    and finally, how is Microsoft likely to fund this? through donations? (Like SpyBot S&D?) After all they have just cut a load of jobs and losing money isn't going to help them any further.

However, I can understand there idea behind this because there are a lot of people which can't afford to pay out a huge amount of money, paying for broadband is bad enough without adding on the cost of Anti Virus/Spyware software which is always being updated to "new" versions and then you have to pay out more money because you have to have the latest version etc. So this idea is brilliant and one that i will use. I was originally with AVG but i changed to WIndows Live One Care late last year so my subscription will end probably a month or two after this free version comes out. I would definitely love to stay with Microsoft products because they know their own operatiing systems, Windows Live One Care is the best anti virus/spyware solution in my opinion because my computer is always nice and speedy. It doesn't slow it down when scanning, updating etc.

I hope someone can answer my questions.

Thank you in advance
    • Moved by Stephen BootsMVP, Moderator Monday, February 23, 2009 1:09 PM (Moved from Windows Live OneCare Update to Windows Live OneCare General)
    Saturday, February 21, 2009 10:04 PM

Answers

• Hello BKinsman, as I understand it Morro will be based on the One Care antimalware engine so it should protect as well as One Care. Morro will be a stand alone antimalware application. It will not include any of the additional One Care features such as a firewall, backup, multi PC management etc. It will be "always on" and should protect against viruses, spyware, and adware as well as any top tier antimalware product. I don't know how Microsoft will fund this product but I'm sure they will find a way. Thanks for the kind assessment of One Care. I also like it very much.
    Jim
    Sunday, February 22, 2009 12:56 PM