How Do I Fix Product Key Issue? RRS feed

• Question

• I bought and built my computer from scratch.  It was a couple of years already but I remember it was from EggHead online.

Ah, but it did not go smoothly.  I was not used to all the chips and connections and such.  But I decyphered the instuctions and I got it put togehter.  And it did not run.

It took days and the days became weeks.  I had to resort to to doing a lot of trial and error and calling up everyone who made each individual part.

I considered that it might be my genuine Microsoft Vista installation CD Itself since this was where the process was croaking.  So I found another OS CD to give it a try.  It still did not work and so I began focusing on other problems.

In the end, it turned out to be the hard drive which was still under warentee and I shipped back and the Egg Heads replaced it.

Ta-Dah!! Eureka!!  I had a working computer.

But in the confusion, did you see, perhaps, where I took a wrong, but all to human and innocent, turn?

I put an operating system on my computer from a CD that I did not buy!!!   The HORROR!!!  But the time I noticed that there made a confused switch and the CD that I bought was back at work and I had the one from work at home, I had moved on to another contract and I could not fix the error.

I have a genuine product key.

I need to change the product key I typed in when I first installed the OS to the right one.

How do I do this?

Web Master and Programmer
    Friday, March 27, 2009 8:46 PM

Answers

• Hi Bill,

If I understand the question, you want to change the Product Key (that is currently being used in your computer) to a different Product Key?

If that is correct, then all you need to do is, Click the 'Start' button, right-click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'.  The System window will open. At the lower right of the System window, click "Chang Product Key" and follow the Change Product Key wizard.

Just be sure that the key you are trying to change to, is for the version of Vista that you are trying to enter it into.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:05 PM
  • Hi Bill,

The 64bit version of Vista Business has not been discontinued. When you buy a Retail version of Vista 32bit, you are able to get the 64bit version for free. You can request the 64bit version at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Hope that helps,
    Darin
    Attention All Forum Users: Please Do Not post your issue in someone else's Thread...Create your own. If any post fixes your issue, please click the "Post was Helpful" button for that post. This will help us showcase the threads that best help our customers.
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• Hi Bill,

If I understand the question, you want to change the Product Key (that is currently being used in your computer) to a different Product Key?

If that is correct, then all you need to do is, Click the 'Start' button, right-click 'Computer' and select 'Properties'.  The System window will open. At the lower right of the System window, click "Chang Product Key" and follow the Change Product Key wizard.

Just be sure that the key you are trying to change to, is for the version of Vista that you are trying to enter it into.

Thank you,
    Darin MS
    Friday, March 27, 2009 10:05 PM
  • When I do this, nothing comes up when I click on 'Properties'.  The pointer is a joint hourglass/arror for a while and then nothing.  How do I diagnose what is happening?
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 3:19 AM
  • Well, I managed to look up my current product key and unfortunately not only did I get the CD's mixed up but I got the Product Key stickers switched as well.  So I am going to have to go ahead and go out and buy a new Operating System DVD. 

So now I have a different question.  I went to the Microsoft site to find the Vista 64-bit Business and I found that Microsoft has discontinued this.  So, what product should I buy?  Is there going to be a problem buying the 32-bit Vista? (http://store.microsoft.com/microsoft/Windows-Vista-Business-with-SP1-32-bit-Full/product/223F2245)

Thursday, April 2, 2009 5:09 AM
  • Hi Bill,

The 64bit version of Vista Business has not been discontinued. When you buy a Retail version of Vista 32bit, you are able to get the 64bit version for free. You can request the 64bit version at http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/1033/ordermedia/default.mspx

Hope that helps,
    Darin
    Thursday, April 2, 2009 6:26 PM