Authenticate CRM 2011 user in on-premise question RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. this is for CRM 2011 on-prem version

Q1) But we are hosting our server with a hosting company (as we don’t have dedicated hardware/staff).  If so, how can we integrate CRM with our in-exchange server?   I am doing this because users can send/receive, track email within CRM. User can either use IE to access CRM or can use Outlook to access CRM.  To authenticate user, Is Active Directory Synch with Exchange needed?   Here the CRM is hosted and the exchange is in-house. What is the best way to authenticate CRM user in this situation?

Q2) Email router: Could I install this in the same server as CRM 2011 installed? How does this help in this context?

Q3) SQL Srv:  We have a single DNS, (ie 1 processor, 8gb/40gb). Is that sufficient to install OS, SQL & CRM 2011? I would assume that we can install SQL and CRM in a single Server? What is the best practice? The user capacity is about 100.

Q4) Could we integrate with in-house SharePoint server? If so, what do we need to consider in the above context? 

Appreciate your help. Thank you 

Friday, August 19, 2011 11:27 AM

Answers

• Hi,

if you have hosted CRM at a vendor and you want to use Email Router, the vendor should install it on CRM server for you.

If you choose to use exchange you should somehow connect to vendor's CRM (VPN tunnel) and open apropriate ports.

I don't really understand, you have SQL server and Exchange server in house and hosted CRM? Or do you plann to install CRM as you are asking me if CRM and SQL servers should be separated?

Regards

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:44 PM

All replies

• Here are some installation manuals that can be helpfull with your questions http://www.microsoft.com/download/en/details.aspx?id=3621

With CRM you can use Exchange server or email router for sending and reciveing emails. You don't really need both of them. 

This is a good description of advanteges and disadvantages: http://www.crmsoftwareblog.com/2010/04/crm-email-deployment-options/

Here is a good explanation of how they work http://www.powerobjects.com/blog/2010/07/14/outlook-microsoft-crm-client-and-email-router-deployment-options/

For 100 users you can put CRM and SQL on the same server, just review hardware requirements and don't put it on the same server that DNS!!

Friday, August 19, 2011 11:47 AM
  • Hi Ursa, thank you for your feedback.  Do you recommend that we separate SQL and CRM 2011 and install each in a two different physical servers?  Also could we deploy in a Virtual environment?  Here, I don't have the CRM installed in-house but is hosted with a vendor? What do we need to consider for connecting with exchange or Email Router?  Thanks 
    Friday, August 19, 2011 11:56 AM
  • Hi,

if you have hosted CRM at a vendor and you want to use Email Router, the vendor should install it on CRM server for you.

If you choose to use exchange you should somehow connect to vendor's CRM (VPN tunnel) and open apropriate ports.

I don't really understand, you have SQL server and Exchange server in house and hosted CRM? Or do you plann to install CRM as you are asking me if CRM and SQL servers should be separated?

Regards

Tuesday, August 30, 2011 12:44 PM