How to support EFS? RRS feed

• Question

• It is said that WHS 11 can support EFS. But I can't find any change, actually. When I try to encrypt a file in the share folder, it will fail. Any one can help? Thanks!
    WHS is ready!
    Sunday, March 13, 2011 3:56 PM

All replies

• As WHS2011 use NTFS formated drive you can have EFS files into the shared folders.

When I loggin to the server as Admin I can encrypt the files. But when I try from a client with my user account there's a permission deny.

So maybe it's not  a support issue but only an user right to manage.

Monday, March 14, 2011 2:51 PM
  • As WHS2011 use NTFS formated drive you can have EFS files into the shared folders.

When I loggin to the server as Admin I can encrypt the files. But when I try from a client with my user account there's a permission deny.

So maybe it's not  a support issue but only an user right to manage.

According to my understanding, MS don't advocate logining via RDP. So the EFS function shouldn't work in this way.
    WHS is ready!
    Monday, March 14, 2011 4:34 PM
  • I was always under the impression that EFS on a network share required Active Directory and a PKI setup (which WHS of course does not support - at least the AD part). I may be wrong because I do not know if that has changed with R2 or not though.

I suppose at the very least, you'd need to have your user cert on both the server and all desktops that need to access the files.

Monday, March 14, 2011 5:07 PM

• According to my understanding, MS don't advocate logining via RDP. So the EFS function shouldn't work in this way.

WHS is ready!

huh ?

By default you can't logging with a user account through RDP, but you can use Administrator account!

As WHS is made for headless config, Admin RDP loggin is essential!

Tuesday, March 15, 2011 10:32 AM