Did the backup strategy change from "Vail" to WHS 2011 RC? RRS feed

• Question

• When I used "Vail", with only one hard disk, I could backup networked machines to it.  Now the 2011 RC says I have no suitable drives for backing up my networked machines.  It looks like I need a minimum of 2 hard drives to do backups.  Can someone confirm this?  And what about all that extra space on the initial Hard disk?  What will it be good for?  Thanks!!!
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:44 PM

Answers

• It seems to me like you are trying to set up server backup, and not client backup.

D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:03 PM

All replies

• It all depends on how much space is on the drives.  Not the number necessarily.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:46 PM
  • Well, I have a Terra-byte of space on the only drive.  And the drive I want to backup is 80 Gigs.  Shouldn't this go on the drive, or does the OS take up that much space?  I thought 600 Gigs were enough for the OS.  That leaves 400 more for something else.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:53 PM
  • I just checked the server disks.  WHS set up 2 disks, "C", with 60 Gb,(48.6 Gb free) and "D" with 871 Gb, all free. Shouldn't I be able to back up on "D"?
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 8:58 PM
  • Ok, in the dashboard are you clicking on a client computer, or the server?  If you are trying to backup the server on to itself, it won't let you.  Any clients should be able to be backed up on D though. 
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:02 PM
  • It seems to me like you are trying to set up server backup, and not client backup.

D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:03 PM
  • You are right!  But that is the next item on the list of things to do.  Can I set up client backup without setting up Server backup?  (By the way, for beginners, "Server backup" can be interpreted a couple of ways....it could be the process of backing up the clients which is performed by the Server.  That's how I first interpreted it.  I guess that's not right.)
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:07 PM
  • Yes, you can set up client backup without setting up server backup.  Although I would recommend it because that is an even better fail safe. 
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:11 PM
  • I guess I just found a way to do the client backup.  I clicked on "computers and backup" on the server dashboard, then found my client, and started the manual backup.  It is slow, only up to 1% after a couple of minutes.  Is this the best way to do this, or should I do it from a client version of the dashboard? 
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:15 PM
  • Doesn't matter, its the exact same thing.  It will only be slow the first time, then after that it only saves any changes made, so it's done in minutes.
    D.W.
    Thursday, February 17, 2011 9:17 PM