none
When repairing windows xp installation, product key doesn't work RRS feed

• Question

• hello,

My computer was destroyed by a virus yesterday so I am attempting to repair windows. I have had the computer for about six years and don't have the product key anymore. I read a forum describing how to find the cd key on the cd and entered that key to no avail. I would attempt to find the product id in windows but its in the midst of installation so I cant access it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 31, 2010 9:06 PM

Answers

• Hello wolf53rd,

You wrote, "I read a forum describing how to find the cd key on the cd and entered that key to no avail."

There are no product keys on the genuine Microsoft CD.  IF there is a/are product keys on a CD, it is a counterfeit CD.

Genuine consumer licenses for Windows will have the product key as follows:

(a)  A Genuine OEM (preinstalled by the computer manufacturer/assembler) license for Windows XP will have the product key printed on a Genuine Certificate of Authenticity (CoA) and the CoA will be affixed to the computer (on the bottom if it is a laptop).

(b)  A Genuine retail (either upgrade retail or full retail) license for Windows will have the product key printed on a yellow-orange Proof Of License label.  Such label will be affixed to the heavy paperboard inner CD holder-folder that comes inside the slick pretty retail box.

Which of these two do you have or did you have?

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 11:29 PM