WHS Shadow Copy error RRS feed

• Question

• When I try to restore the previous version of a file while on the server, I get the error: "Cannot copy "": The device is not connected". I have tried disabling and re-enabling shadow copy and rebooting the server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Friday, August 27, 2010 4:18 PM

Answers

• "Previous versions" functionality is not supported on Windows Home Server V1. There are incompatibilities between VSS and Drive Extender. There is an unsupported method (detailed here) to get them working; it requires manual intervention after each reboot and isn't really recommended.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Marked as answer by MERPC Tuesday, September 28, 2010 2:21 AM
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:00 PM
  • When I try to restore the previous version of a file while on the server, I get the error: "Cannot copy "": The device is not connected". I have tried disabling and re-enabling shadow copy and rebooting the server. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Shadow Copies doesn't work reliably (or, in some cases, at all) on WHS due to how it handles the storage pool, so you shouldn't rely on that function.  Having said that, see if this thread helps.  (Note that this is unsupported.)
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:01 PM

All replies

• "Previous versions" functionality is not supported on Windows Home Server V1. There are incompatibilities between VSS and Drive Extender. There is an unsupported method (detailed here) to get them working; it requires manual intervention after each reboot and isn't really recommended.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:00 PM
    Shadow Copies doesn't work reliably (or, in some cases, at all) on WHS due to how it handles the storage pool, so you shouldn't rely on that function.  Having said that, see if this thread helps.  (Note that this is unsupported.)
    Friday, August 27, 2010 5:01 PM