Win XP Retail Activated Too Many Times Error RRS feed

• Question

• Hi!

I've reinstalled Win XP (Retail) a couple of times and did it once again yesterday. Now I'm told that MS's records show that I've activated XP too many times using the same licence key, hence I'm suggested to activate by phone. This works OK but I'm finding it quite annoying to be forced to use phone activation everytime I reinstall.

Do any of you guys know where to apply to get this activation counter reset, or will it be done automatically after some time? I think the whole issue is kind of weired as MS should be able to verify that I've activated XP on the same piece of hardware everytime.

/Hallandsen

Monday, March 29, 2010 6:34 PM

Answers

• Hallandsen,

It is my understanding that once a key gets to manual (aka telephonic) activation status, it never goes back to automatic.

Another way to save a lot of time reinstalling is to avoid reinstalling in the first place, and instead use drive imgaging software such as Ghost, Acronis True Image, or the free DriveImageXML to capture an image of your fresh pristine XP installation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:22 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:55 PM

All replies

• Goto C:\windows\system32\ and save the files "wpa.dbl" and "wpa.bak". Place them in the same location after re-installation.

NOTE: This cannot be transferred to another PC.

Monday, March 29, 2010 7:23 PM
  • Thanks motherboardlove, but still I'll like to know if I can get the counter reset or it'll be done automatically after some time.
    Monday, March 29, 2010 9:00 PM
  • Hallandsen,

It is my understanding that once a key gets to manual (aka telephonic) activation status, it never goes back to automatic.

Another way to save a lot of time reinstalling is to avoid reinstalling in the first place, and instead use drive imgaging software such as Ghost, Acronis True Image, or the free DriveImageXML to capture an image of your fresh pristine XP installation.

Buy Office 2007 Now, Get Office 2010 Free http://office2010.microsoft.com/en-us/tech-guarantee/microsoft-office-2010-technology-guarantee-FX101825695.aspx?CTT=97
    • Marked as answer by Darin Smith MS Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:22 AM
    Tuesday, March 30, 2010 3:55 PM
  •  

Or since Windows gives you 30 days to Activate, if you know you won't need that copy of windows for longer then 30 days, just don't Activate it.
    Darin MS
    Wednesday, March 31, 2010 12:22 AM
  • What an unbelievable annoying policy!

I'm quite sure that this custom doesn't prevent anybody from pirating Microsoft(R) software, rather it just seems to annoy legitimate customers.

When I'll be employed by Microsoft(R) I'm going to change that activation mechanism for good!

Thanks for the answer anyway.

Saturday, April 3, 2010 7:09 PM
  • What an unbelievable annoying policy!

I'm quite sure that this custom doesn't prevent anybody from pirating Microsoft(R) software, rather it just seems to annoy legitimate customers.

When I'll be employed by Microsoft(R) I'm going to change that activation mechanism for good!

Thanks for the answer anyway.

Anyway, now I've been waiting for a month or so and it seems to activate correctly over the internet again. This doesn't, however, change the fact that WPA is an annoying ... whatever it is ... it's not a feature, though. If one really will not pay for MS software he/she will just download some crack or whatsoever. It's simply not possible to secure immaterial rights.

Saturday, May 1, 2010 5:09 PM