Activation through Qwest. RRS feed

• Question

• I have a subscription to MSN Premium through Qwest.  Included in the subscription is the Windows Live OneCare program.  This program has been a lifesaver.  The problem we are having now is that Windows no longer recognizes my account or any other that we have had.  We ;called Qwest on the phone and they said we would have to contact Microsoft.  OneCare shows that there is only one day left and will not let me activate it.  Our account is current.  Could someone please call me (360-607-9391) or e-mail me instructions on what to do?  I have uninstalled the program, used the cleanup tool, and reinstalled Onecare several times.  It just says that I need a subscription yet it can't find mine. I have been directed to install the 90 day free trial, which I did but now it is running out.  Thanks for any help.  Again this program has been great. Dave 

Thursday, May 15, 2008 9:39 AM

Answers

• I'm sorry to tell you, Dave, but Qwest support is wrong. Qwest is responsible for supporting your installation of OneCare for your free subscription. *They* need to contact Microsoft if they can't resolve your problem and believe that the problem is on Microsoft's end.

That said, this would seem to be the solution to your problem:

Installation of Windows Live OneCare from Qwest

After you click "Download Now" on this page, the download and installation of Windows Live OneCare from Qwest will begin.

Be aware of the following:

• The download and installation of Windows Live OneCare from Qwest can take from 5 to 30 minutes depending on your connection speed.
    • OneCare will check for conflicting anti-virus applications that may be running on your computer. To complete the installation of OneCare, you will need to allow OneCare to uninstall the conflicting applications.
    • As part of the OneCare installation, you will see a screen that asks if you have a Windows Live ID. Answer "Yes," and then enter your Qwest Windows Live ID (for example, john_smith_123@q.com) and your password.

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/MemberCenter/DownloadOneCare.aspx

If your primary Qwest LiveID does not allow you to activate, Qwest support needs to resolve this for you.

-steve

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:14 PM

All replies

• I'm sorry to tell you, Dave, but Qwest support is wrong. Qwest is responsible for supporting your installation of OneCare for your free subscription. *They* need to contact Microsoft if they can't resolve your problem and believe that the problem is on Microsoft's end.

That said, this would seem to be the solution to your problem:

Installation of Windows Live OneCare from Qwest

After you click "Download Now" on this page, the download and installation of Windows Live OneCare from Qwest will begin.

Be aware of the following:

• The download and installation of Windows Live OneCare from Qwest can take from 5 to 30 minutes depending on your connection speed.
    • OneCare will check for conflicting anti-virus applications that may be running on your computer. To complete the installation of OneCare, you will need to allow OneCare to uninstall the conflicting applications.
    • As part of the OneCare installation, you will see a screen that asks if you have a Windows Live ID. Answer "Yes," and then enter your Qwest Windows Live ID (for example, john_smith_123@q.com) and your password.

http://kai03.qwest.com/WindowsLive/MemberCenter/DownloadOneCare.aspx

If your primary Qwest LiveID does not allow you to activate, Qwest support needs to resolve this for you.

-steve

Thursday, May 15, 2008 1:14 PM
  • I read the above about Qwest obligation.  BUT I am sort of in the same boat.  I bought a new hp pavilion with Vista Home Premium 64bit.  Oh oh.  Yep, 64bit did not work with just about all the things I loved, including Onecare through my ISP Qwest.  So HP sent the new OS disc to me to change the OS to 32bit home premium.  Done.  Now I cannot get onecare.  I had the QWest tech on my computer, via the remote assist thing where they take over (I might add here I am a real real Novice)  the tech tried for almost 3 hours to get the OneCare to work.  There appears to be no other protection stuff on my computer, not norton, etc.  she even ran a clean up in case it was there.  But no matter what she could not get it to work and to make all the red and yellow warnings to leave my life.  I am so desperate.  She told me in fustration that I needed to contact MSN or HP.  HP was not any help at all.  They told me to contact MSN.  Here I am.  I just don't know what else to do.  My computer repair person tells me to lose the OneCare that it is nothing but problems, blah blah blah.  I happen to really really like it.  I had it for the entire time on my older Compaq, with zero problems.  In fact, I really depend on it and it bothers me a lot to not have it right now.  But I don't know what else to do.  I even thought about taking my 3 week old computer to another repair place but this is getting ridiculously expensive considering this is a brand new computer.  I would be so grateful for any ideas.  I was going to call MS hotline but I didnt want to incur further charges for this.  Please send any advice.  thanks so much, tree in seattle.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 2:57 AM
  • tree in seattle,

Thank you for visiting the Windows Live OneCare program forum. First, Stephen is absolutely right about Qwest needing to support your installation of OneCare.

I understand you are a novice user. So first I will say this, even though many people disagree with me on this issue. It is not a good idea to downgrade an OEM (HP, Compaq, Dell, Gateway, ALL) from 64 bit to 32bit. On OEM machines, you will see a sticker, normally it shows the XP windows logo, or Vista has the Blue Start button logo. This means that machine's hardware has been configured to work the best with what ever bit (32 or 64) computer you purchased. Downgrading can sometimes void the warranty which came with your computer because some OEM's believe in this point I just mentioned. Beyond hardware, one thing to keep in mind which you already mentioned is application compatibility. Yes OneCare is compatible with Vista 64 bit. However due to your downgrade, I would not be surprised that this type of issue has been encountered. Just being honest with you.

MSN has no involvement in this issue. If Qwest has issues, then Qwest should have transferred you to MS.

I would re-install the 64 bit OS/contact your OEM and let them know you really need a 32bit computer. I'm not sure if this is the best thing I should be recommending, however this is what I would do if your computer was my computer. If this is not possible at all, you really need a REPUTABLE tech to look at your hardware to verify that it is all for 100 compatible with a 32 bit Operating System. After this is confirmed, I'd re-try installing OneCare on the 32bit OS and if it fails you definitely need to get Qwest on the line for continued support. I won't lie, you are in kind of a hard spot. Short of buying a Retail version of OneCare and seeing if the CD would install.

I agree with you, OneCare is a really great program. I do believe in it for many reasons. I wish you the best and good luck.

Rick, MS

Additional Note: Once you do get up and running, don't run multiple antivirus/antispyware/antimalware programs at the same time.

Saturday, September 27, 2008 3:32 AM
  • thanks for the input, i sure need it.  well after some reading on the ms help page, i see that i should uninstall all third party utilities to try again.  can you please tell me what exactly does that mean.  i am pretty sure it's what i have painstakingly reinstalled last evening.  and am still working on.  i have the version tracker pro from cnet to check driver's.  i have uniblue's power suite, which has the registry scanner, driver scanner and clean up crumbs stuff.  what do you think, (anyone too) about this stuff, shall i yet again, clear the decks and try to reinstall.  is there a way to sign in as administrator permanently.  i am the only user and it really gets in the way at times.  because of my limited expertise, real limited, when the "must be signed in as administrator" pops up, I really have to go a'looking to fix that.  then i am lost again where i was.  i never thought this would ever happen to me.  you hear all the stories of problems and i was so lucky for so long.  hp customer care manager is calling me mon or tue.  i will (ha ha) ask them to please take this pavilion back and send me one with 32bit.  after a long long call to India support i ended up breaking my phone a little.  it was the first time i really lost it.  this was delivered 8/27/08.  aside from the day in the shop for the os change, i have labored with it for hours and hours each day, sometimes i have been on the phone with hp tech support for hours and hours too, qwest for hours also.  i just feel like putting it in the box and taking out my old functioning nicely compaq...but it is so hard to eat about $1500 at this point.  i just wish the flash had worked with the 64 and none of this would have began i think.  i just wanted to see my pages..i called the tech guy again and he is willing to try to tweak it to get the onecare but i can tell that he does not like onecare so i am a little put off.  i just cannot keep this up. but i will keep at it all this weekend till hp calls and i go a begging.   i will certainly beg as best i am able to have them take this back and make it a 32bit out of the gate.  thank you, teresa in seattle...

Saturday, September 27, 2008 4:44 PM
  • when i open the errors/problems i see pages of generic errors from winss on the onecare section.  what is that?

never mind this post.  i got it explained.  duh.  yeah i am a novice. 

Saturday, September 27, 2008 8:01 PM
  • Well the saga continues but I aint giving up yet...I spent some hours on the phone with a tech in Manilla for QWest.  He left off and escalated it to the "next level" tech to continue tonight.  Where we were upon giving up was the message

RegSvr32

"Providers.dll" failed to load.  make sure the binary is stored at the specified path or debug it to check for problems with binary or dependent.DLL files.  Failed to start because its side-by-side configuration is incorrect.  See application event log for more detail.

Side note:  When I tried to update the OneCare.  Two different windows open.  One states Windows Live OneCare cannot continue, is not working or has been stopped.  Try restarting.  if persists call support.  BUT

ANOTHER OneCare window above the icon (as if normal) opens at the same time stating that it is checking for updates then that it is up to date.

I have had no sucess with HP.  although I am currently waiting for a call from their next level customer care today.  I will try like heck to get them to take back the Pavilion and rebuild with the 32bit as I was advised.  Frankly, I don't hold out much hope of that happening.  though this is my third HP so who knows.  But as I don't believe they will do that I am trying as best I can to use the support in place to try and get on OneCare.  I am so weary of being told to forget the OneCare and just go with Kaspergy (sp?) or similar.  I like OneCare a lot.  Otherwise I would not be spending hours and hours trying like heck to get it working.  I think OneCare does way more than all the other virus etc. programs out there.  As a Novice, I need a program like onecare to help with backing up, maintenance, security, etc.  So please anyone out there I need advice/help.  If you recognize anything in the above and have an idea, please forward it.  Sooner or later the techs may give up.  And then I am on my own and pretty lost.  But I am still trying now.  Thank you very much.  I would be so grateful for advice/help.  I will also post the result of the HP call to let anyone else with this issue be aware of my outcome.  Teresa in Seattle.

Tuesday, September 30, 2008 4:10 PM
  • IT WORKS!!!

A MS tech out of the P.I. in the OneCare arena took over with remote assistance and fixed it in less than 3 minutes!  I am so relieved.  Now what to do with HP?  Frankly, if it continues to work well I am fine.  what an ordeal.  I like seeing my GREEN onecare icon.  Good way to end my day.....

thanks  teresa

Wednesday, October 1, 2008 1:52 AM
  • this is a long overdue follow-up.  I ended up having to loose the 64 bit Vista.  It was just not working with everything I like to use and need at this time.  I have installed the 32bit Vista Home Premium.  The Onecare was having a conflict with my software by Uniblue, which has the Speed up my PC, Driver Scanner, Registry Booster.  This is all the "Power Suite" software set.  I love this set, have used it for over a year with zero problems and lots of sucess.  But it would not work with OneCare.  So the remote assistance Qwest Tech guy asked if he could uninstall it all and of course I said yes, because I need OneCare more.  But I missed my PowerSuite so much and wanted to clean up the mess that builds up fairly quickly with my internet surfing and trying out lots of new software, so I took a chance and reinstalled it all, one part at a time.  So far so good!! I have been using everything for about 2 months or so and no problems at all.  I think it was important that the OneCare was installed first, then the other.  Now I am running smoothly and well.  I received lots of help from lots of people with lots of ideas and technical assistance.  I really appreciate the community of decent people out there willing to spend time helping another human they cannot even see.    Maybe someday I will too be knowledgeable enough to lend some time to help someone else.  Thanks.

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 2:32 AM
  • Thanks for the follow-up and I'm glad to read that all is now well. I suspect that your problem may actually have been a compatibility issue with your Power Suite software and x64 Vista, coupled with OneCare, but that's a moot point since all is now working for you.

-steve

Tuesday, November 4, 2008 1:32 PM