Need guidance on organizing BUs and Teams in CRM 2013 Online RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

I need expert opinion on below Requirements :

Ours is small company who wants to manage its sales activity on MS Dynamic CRM 2013 online.

There will be two divisions (Sales & Marketing), and they will not see each other’s records except the leads, as they have to work on them together. So, only Leads records will be shared from Marketing division to Sales division.

Under Sales Team, there will be at-least 2 or more sales teams (may be based on locations or products)  working for different accounts. And they also should not see each other’s records except in cases where specific records needs to be shared with another team.

Now, I am trying to understand what is the best solution,

Option 1: Should I create only 1 BU (with Company Name) and with teams for Sales and Marketing division and further teams as required.

OR

Option 2: Should I create Two BUs (1 for Sales and 1 for Marketing activities under Company Name BU)?

Which option should be advisable in case of my requirements or may be any other suggestions?

1. Sharing leads between Sales and Marketing Divisions and leads can be created by both the divisions.
    2. Once lead is created, auto notify the concern sales person.
    3. Sales and Marketing Managers can manage only their teams, e.g. Sales Manager can’t read/create/Update/delete Marketing activity related teams. (If I design with only 1 BU I think I will not be able to manage this)
    4. Occasionally sharing between Sales and Marketing teams as well as sharing between Sales teams.
    5. Also, when I am trying to create workflow to assign newly created Lead record automatically to the Owner's Team, I understand that I need to create N:1 relationship between Users and Team Entities to ensure that one user is assigned to only one Team. Is there any other way to achieve this ?

Also, Since I am new to CRM, Can you let me know how we can restrict team users from read/create/Update/delete another team’s records?

Thank you,

Mittal.

• Edited by MittalPatel Friday, February 21, 2014 11:25 AM
    Thursday, February 20, 2014 11:42 AM

All replies

• Option 2.

Give users a security role that lets them work with any lead, so these don't need to be explicitly shared. Don't notify people when you create records, it soon becomes tiresome - just let them check their view of "My Leads", sorted by created on date, and stick it on a dashboard where they can get at it.

Teams and record sharing may work for the rest, or use separate BUs instead of Teams, or consider the new Access Teams feature for some of this. But you need to break down your requirements more - by entity, by action (read, update in particular). Expect Sales/Marketing managers to need more oversight of records than just their own team.

Hope this helps.
    Adam Vero, Microsoft Certified Trainer | Microsoft Community Contributor 2011
    UK CRM Guru Blog

Tuesday, March 11, 2014 4:33 PM