none
Reviews RRS feed

• Question

• I'm currently looking for the best way to continue my studying/learning for mcitp & possible mcse.  Is there a review site or any other information related to study providers?  Example, I've used Test-Out but there are many other similar providers out there that some other people think are better than test-out.  Or any other suggestions in this thread may be helpful.

Thanks.

Charlie Hawkins
    Monday, September 20, 2010 1:40 PM

Answers

• Hi Charlie,

That's a difficult one. Everyone has it's own way of studying. I don't know test-out but i assume you are looking for ways to sudy for the exams right? Have you tried creating a learning plan on the MS learning site ( http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/start/start-learning-tools.aspx#tab2 ). I think that gives you a good overview of the possibilities where to look and start. You will also find additional info for partners and books to use for study. If your are looking for a similarity to test-out you might take a look at: www.appdev.com which also uses the same methods for learning. If that's your preference this might suit you.

Furthermore i do take some classes from time to time. Costly i know but the interaction with a trainers can give you lots of insights on the materials to learn.

Maurice

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

As Maurice points out, everybody has his or her own way to study. Even, MCPLS has their own training courses develop for special purposes. Even more, they use different approaches toward the normal requisite of certification with Boot Camp. My advice for you is to develop a way to learn the what you want. I mean, try to follow some of this suggestions:

1. Hardware: get a computer that you can install many times and install there many of the products. Most of them comes with 60 days of use before they require a license to work. That's the case of Windows Server and Windows 7/Vista.

2. ILT: For complex subjects, go to a Instructor Lead Trainer. There you got a working setup of HW to do the labs and guidance on technologies. Moreover, you get demo software to test in your hardware.

3. Exam Training Kits: Thay come in two types, Exam Training Kit and Academic Official course. You can buy both from Microsoft Press. The former is oriented toward specific exams with much information to learn, examples, training questions, scenarios, etc. The later is more oriented to be used in colleges and is more complete with two parts, Theory and Labs. Both comes with demo software to use.

4. Study Guides: they are from Microsoft and are oriented to exams under the idea that when you pass the exams you are qualified to.

5. Hands-On: Practice makes you perfect. Get your HW and your SW and test the products, make scenarios, practice the configurations required. Follow the procedures. Go deep on Technet or other knowledge sources. Questions your knowledge. Come to Forums to make questions....

In the case of ILT, the Trainer review all the material with the students, but the student must review the material many times to ensure that he or she know the material, clear the doubts and investigate. Most of the materials shows much of the below of the surface knowledge, but the student must go deep to know more.

Alfredo Arizaleta

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 11:19 PM

All replies

• Hi Charlie,

That's a difficult one. Everyone has it's own way of studying. I don't know test-out but i assume you are looking for ways to sudy for the exams right? Have you tried creating a learning plan on the MS learning site ( http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/start/start-learning-tools.aspx#tab2 ). I think that gives you a good overview of the possibilities where to look and start. You will also find additional info for partners and books to use for study. If your are looking for a similarity to test-out you might take a look at: www.appdev.com which also uses the same methods for learning. If that's your preference this might suit you.

Furthermore i do take some classes from time to time. Costly i know but the interaction with a trainers can give you lots of insights on the materials to learn.

Maurice

Monday, September 20, 2010 7:56 PM
  • Hi Charlie,

As Maurice points out, everybody has his or her own way to study. Even, MCPLS has their own training courses develop for special purposes. Even more, they use different approaches toward the normal requisite of certification with Boot Camp. My advice for you is to develop a way to learn the what you want. I mean, try to follow some of this suggestions:

1. Hardware: get a computer that you can install many times and install there many of the products. Most of them comes with 60 days of use before they require a license to work. That's the case of Windows Server and Windows 7/Vista.

2. ILT: For complex subjects, go to a Instructor Lead Trainer. There you got a working setup of HW to do the labs and guidance on technologies. Moreover, you get demo software to test in your hardware.

3. Exam Training Kits: Thay come in two types, Exam Training Kit and Academic Official course. You can buy both from Microsoft Press. The former is oriented toward specific exams with much information to learn, examples, training questions, scenarios, etc. The later is more oriented to be used in colleges and is more complete with two parts, Theory and Labs. Both comes with demo software to use.

4. Study Guides: they are from Microsoft and are oriented to exams under the idea that when you pass the exams you are qualified to.

5. Hands-On: Practice makes you perfect. Get your HW and your SW and test the products, make scenarios, practice the configurations required. Follow the procedures. Go deep on Technet or other knowledge sources. Questions your knowledge. Come to Forums to make questions....

In the case of ILT, the Trainer review all the material with the students, but the student must review the material many times to ensure that he or she know the material, clear the doubts and investigate. Most of the materials shows much of the below of the surface knowledge, but the student must go deep to know more.

Alfredo Arizaleta

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no express or implied warranties or rights.
    Monday, September 20, 2010 11:19 PM
  • Thanks for all the information.  I've actually been working within this area for years now with no certifications, just trying to get more info on the best info.  But keep pushing myself realizing how those letters mean beside my name. :)  I'm probably going to purchasing one of the MS Press MCITP Self-Paced Training Kits to proof my knowledge.  I can't afford one of the huge LabSim/TestOut packages.  And very good point is that practice makes perfect!  And reading these forums. :)

Charlie Hawkins
    Tuesday, September 21, 2010 1:24 PM
  • Thanks for your remarks,

Alfredo Arizaleta

Tuesday, September 21, 2010 3:24 PM