Can I set up a remote desktop connection to WHS RRS feed

• Question

• Can I set up a remote desktop connection to my WHS so that I can fully manage the server remotely (i.e. from off my home network), especially setting up, installing, uninstalling / shutting down programs?  I use a Linksys WRT54G router behind my cable modem, if that information is important!

My technical competence is limited and any help/advice/pointers would probably need detailed instructions for me to see it through to a successful conclusion.

Many thanks ijn advance for any help or advice that anyone can give!
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:44 AM

Answers

• Can I set up a remote desktop connection to my WHS so that I can fully manage the server remotely (i.e. from off my home network), especially setting up, installing, uninstalling / shutting down programs?  I use a Linksys WRT54G router behind my cable modem, if that information is important!

My technical competence is limited and any help/advice/pointers would probably need detailed instructions for me to see it through to a successful conclusion.

Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (and, to be honest, if your technical competence is limited, you shouldn't even attempt to access the server desktop as you could inadvertently mess up your server since WHS doesn't work like other OSes).

Having said that, there are a few ways to do it.  See the post titlted Remote Access for details.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:56 AM

All replies

Logging into the server desktop is unsupported (and, to be honest, if your technical competence is limited, you shouldn't even attempt to access the server desktop as you could inadvertently mess up your server since WHS doesn't work like other OSes).

Having said that, there are a few ways to do it.  See the post titlted Remote Access for details.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 4:56 AM
  • Thank you very much for the pointer to the Remote Access post - it looks to be exactly what I'm looking for.  I also respect your comment about my (lack of) technical ability - I generally know my own limitations and don't mess up too often.  When I do I am happy to wear the consequences as it is a good way for me to learn!

Many thanks again for your help and I'll let you know whether the post solves my problem.
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 5:03 AM
  • Access resolved - thank you very much for your help and advice with this.

One thing I did notice was that I can only have one admin session open at any one time - am I able to increase this limit or remove it completely?
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Hi,
    it is not a good idea, to grant other persons, who may even less know what to do on a server desktop and what not the ability to connect to the servers remote desktop (which per EULA is only permitted to be used for administrative purposes anyway).
    Do not even think to use the server as desktop, since also doing very basic stuff (installing the wrong application, playing with the Firewall, surfing the wrong website) may mess up your server.

This beeing said, as long as you do not connect directly to the console session (here can only exist one), Remote Desktop for Administration on Server 2003 is limited to two concurrent sessions.

Best greetings from Germany
    Olaf
    Sunday, May 10, 2009 8:13 PM