Can I run the activation wizard outside of an office program? RRS feed

• Question

• I recently installed Office 2007 to find that the only language available for
    Outlook Express's spell checker was French.  I researched this problem and
    solved it by installing ONLY the English spell checker from my Office 2003
    CD.  This method successfully solved the problem.

But now when I try to download a template (or any other extras) for Office
    2007, Microsoft's online genuine software validation process identifies my Office 2003
    installation as not activated.  My Office 2007 suite is properly activated
    and the ONLY portion of Office 2003 that I have installed is the proofing
    tool required to enable English spell checking in Outlook Express 6.

So how can I run the Office 2003 activation wizard from outside of an Office
    2003 program (since I do not have any of them installed)?

Thanks.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 7:30 PM

Answers

• raykor,

If you have both versions of Office on your computer, you may want to try uninstalling Office 2003 and then try for your additional Office 2007 content online.

Here is an article that will help you uninstall Office 2003. It is not recommended to run more than one Office suite on a computer. There are many issues that can occur from doing this.

Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT 2007 OFFICE) on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key.

Next, review the KB article @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=enUtility.  This link provides information for Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions. 

If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.

2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.

4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 

We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

I hope this information helps.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Hello Raykor,

As previously mentioned your question falls outside the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) support scope. We understand you would like a resolve.  In turn myself and Rick researched various information attempting to help provide a resolution.  Please take the opportunity to read the links we researched. If the resolution wasn't covered then the information may assist by pointing you in the right direction. Again the forum best suited for your question is located  http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?d=1 . We searched within this link using  various strings of your request and actually found information. We posted what was found along with links. We  noticed you posted the same question here on 30 August. Please allow a couple days to receive feedback from this site as we are not sure the turn-around time for this particular forum. Thank you Raykor for posting in the OGA Forums.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:40 PM
    • Edited by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:42 PM Validated
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:40 PM

All replies

• raykor,

If you have both versions of Office on your computer, you may want to try uninstalling Office 2003 and then try for your additional Office 2007 content online.

Here is an article that will help you uninstall Office 2003. It is not recommended to run more than one Office suite on a computer. There are many issues that can occur from doing this.

Attached below is a Knowledge Base (KB) article
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301. This will allow you to download the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and explain detailed information. Use the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility and uninstall all Microsoft Office programs 2003 and below (NOT 2007 OFFICE) on your computer, then reinstall Microsoft Office using the genuine MS Office installation CD and product key.

Next, review the KB article @ http://www.microsoft.com/genuine/selfhelp/PkuInstructions.aspx?displayLang=enUtility.  This link provides information for Windows Product Key Update Tool Instructions. 

If you are still having issues, can you do the following?

1) Logon to the PC that is experiencing the notifications as a user with “ADMINISTRATOR” privileges.

2) Download the tool: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012 click RUN.

3) When the tool loads, click “CONTINUE”.

4) Is the “RESOLVE” button available? If so, please click “RESOLVE” to allow the diagnostic tool repair the issue.

5) From the Windows tab, click the COPY button.

6) Please reply back to this post and PASTE the entire results into reply of this post. 

We can take a look at it and offer you some suggestions as to how to resolve this issue.

I hope this information helps.

Rick, MS

• Marked as answer by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:23 PM
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:23 PM
  • Rick,

Thank you for the quick reply!

I understand that "It is not recommended to run more than one Office suite on a computer" and believe me I have no desire to do so.

The ONLY portion of the older Office 2003 suite which I installed is the English spell checker proofing tool and the ONLY reason that I chose to do that is because of the well-documented incompatibility issue between the Office 2007 spell checker and Outlook Express 6.

And so I ask again, is there any way at all to launch and run the Office 2003 activation wizard as a standalone utility from outside of any of the primary office programs?  I HAVE a valid Office 2003 product key but I need a method of running the activation wizard so that I have someplace to enter it!

Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 8:49 PM
  •  Diagnostic Report (1.7.0095.0):
    -----------------------------------------
    WGA Data-->
    Validation Status: Genuine
    Validation Code: 0
    Online Validation Code: N/A
    Cached Validation Code: N/A
    Windows Product Key: *****-*****-JDWBM-8RR6H-4YHXB
    Windows Product Key Hash: Jxw+Ucs1/sArmNzUuGvepRV1//o=
    Windows Product ID: 76487-OEM-2227431-04596
    Windows Product ID Type: 3
    Windows License Type: OEM System Builder
    Windows OS version: 5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro
    CSVLK Server: N/A
    CSVLK PID: N/A
    ID: {7D7E1FDA-996A-4CE8-A8E1-802F59A67A24}(3)
    Is Admin: Yes
    TestCab: 0x0
    WGA Version: Registered, 1.7.69.2
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Product Name: N/A
    Architecture: N/A
    Build lab: N/A
    TTS Error: N/A
    Validation Diagnostic: 025D1FF3-171-1
    Resolution Status: N/A

WgaER Data-->
    ThreatID(s): N/A
    Version: N/A

WGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    File Exists: No
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaTray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WgaLogon.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Notifications Data-->
    Cached Result: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    Version: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    WGATray.exe Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002
    OGAAddin.dll Signed By: N/A, hr = 0x80070002

OGA Data-->
    Office Status: 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003 - 101 Not Activated
    Microsoft Office Professional 2007 - 100 Genuine
    OGA Version: Registered, 1.6.28.0
    Signed By: Microsoft
    Office Diagnostics: 025D1FF3-171-1_3E121E02-154-80070002_E5ECEA81-80-80070002_B4D0AA8B-967-80070002

Browser Data-->
    Proxy settings: N/A
    User Agent: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Win32)
    Default Browser: C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.exe
    Download signed ActiveX controls: Prompt
    Download unsigned ActiveX controls: Disabled
    Run ActiveX controls and plug-ins: Allowed
    Initialize and script ActiveX controls not marked as safe: Disabled
    Allow scripting of Internet Explorer Webbrowser control: Disabled
    Active scripting: Allowed
    Script ActiveX controls marked as safe for scripting: Allowed

File Scan Data-->

Other data-->
    Office Details: <GenuineResults><MachineData><UGUID>{7D7E1FDA-996A-4CE8-A8E1-802F59A67A24}</UGUID><Version>1.7.0095.0</Version><OS>5.1.2600.2.00010100.3.0.pro</OS><Architecture>x32</Architecture><PKey>*****-*****-*****-*****-4YHXB</PKey><PID>76487-OEM-2227431-04596</PID><PIDType>3</PIDType><SID>S-1-5-21-1935655697-1060284298-682003330</SID><SYSTEM><Manufacturer>System manufacturer</Manufacturer><Model>P5Q DELUXE</Model></SYSTEM><BIOS><Manufacturer>American Megatrends Inc.</Manufacturer><Version>1103   </Version><SMBIOSVersion major="2" minor="5"/><Date>20080725000000.000000+000</Date></BIOS><HWID>EE0632FF01841D78</HWID><UserLCID>0409</UserLCID><SystemLCID>0409</SystemLCID><TimeZone>Pacific Standard Time(GMT-08:00)</TimeZone><iJoin>0</iJoin><SBID><stat>3</stat><msppid></msppid><name></name><model></model></SBID><OEM/><BRT/></MachineData><Software><Office><Result>101</Result><Products><Product GUID="{91110409-6000-11D3-8CFE-0150048383C9}"><LegitResult>101</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003</Name><Ver>11</Ver><Val>AE46E07F2DE9DF3</Val><Hash>uv57z3+tSbkzcUYhiWO3mzLWTAc=</Hash><Pid>70145-761-7758053-57409</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product><Product GUID="{91120000-0014-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}"><LegitResult>100</LegitResult><Name>Microsoft Office Professional 2007</Name><Ver>12</Ver><Val>6F37ACBFCDF7F0C</Val><Hash>QlyMUaXH8A2p9SX/ab/81i/nYdY=</Hash><Pid>81605-902-3262762-65545</Pid><PidType>1</PidType></Product></Products><Applications><App Id="15" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="16" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="18" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="19" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="1A" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="1B" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="44" Version="11" Result="101"/><App Id="15" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="16" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="18" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="19" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1A" Version="12" Result="100"/><App Id="1B" Version="12" Result="100"/></Applications></Office></Software></GenuineResults> 

Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:21 PM
  • raykor,

First I need to mention that this is out of scope for the Windows Genuine Advantage (WGA) program forums. And outside of our expertise. Second, it is our understanding that you are running Office 2007 with a valid Windows Product Key. And you are running  a spell checker for Office 2003. Personally, I wouldn't recommend using add-ins, tools, or plugins for Office suites not created for the years of Office they were intended to integrate with. Example - Spell Checker proofing tool for Office 2003 needs to be used with Office 2003. And the 2007 proofing tool needs to be used with Office 2007. Problems can arise from intermixing proofing tools and Office suites. This may or may not be your scenario.

I've included the following KB articles which may or may not be of use to you.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/810988/en-us

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX102113661033.aspx

Also attached is the response to your post in  your other forum. 

With Office 2007, there is no need to buy the complete set of proofing tools for dozens of languages, as was the case before. Single Language Packs, which include the proofing tools for one given language (spell-checker, thesaurus, grammar checker, etc.) are now available from a number of online stores worldwide. Check this out to see how to obtain these Single Language Packs for the languages that are not provided by default in your version of Office 2007 (Remember that, if you have an English version of Office, it comes with the French and Spanish proofing tools, so you don’t need to buy a speller, a grammar checker or a thesaurus for these languages): http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/suites/FX102113661033.aspx I hope it helps, Best wishes, Thierry Fontenelle [MSFT]

For further assistance, click the link below, you will download the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostic Tool.  Then click the Run button. Then click the Run button again. Then click the Continue button to perform the diagnostic. The Windows tab should show, click the Copy button to paste your report to the clipboard.  Then paste the report into a New Post on this Forum by adding a post in it and pressing Ctrl V (to paste the text). Clicking the OK button will clear the Diagnostic window. Here is the download link:

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=52012

Step 2: Tell us about the Certificate of Authenticity (COA) for your copy of Windows.

1. What edition/version of Windows XP is titled? Home, Pro, or Media Center?

2. Does it read "OEM Software" or "OEM Product" in black lettering?

3. Or, does it have the computer manufacturer's name in black lettering?

4. Please provide the customer scenario you are experiencing.

5. DO NOT post the Product Key.

Not sure what to look for, see this page to reference your COA:

http://www.microsoft.com/resources/howtotell/en/coa.mspx

NOTE: The data collected with the Microsoft Genuine Diagnostics Tool does NOT contain any information that can personally identify you. The information can be fully reviewed, by you, before being posted.

Rick, MS
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:27 PM
  • Rick,

I appreciate all the advice and warnings regarding potential problems when using two version of Office on the same computer.

Can you please just answer one simple question (if you know the answer): Is it possible to install and run the Office 2003 activation wizard as standalone utility?

Thank you.
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 9:51 PM
  • Hello Raykor,

As previously mentioned your question falls outside the Office Genuine Advantage (OGA) support scope. We understand you would like a resolve.  In turn myself and Rick researched various information attempting to help provide a resolution.  Please take the opportunity to read the links we researched. If the resolution wasn't covered then the information may assist by pointing you in the right direction. Again the forum best suited for your question is located  http://www.microsoft.com/office/community/en-us/default.mspx?d=1 . We searched within this link using  various strings of your request and actually found information. We posted what was found along with links. We  noticed you posted the same question here on 30 August. Please allow a couple days to receive feedback from this site as we are not sure the turn-around time for this particular forum. Thank you Raykor for posting in the OGA Forums.

Stephen Holm, MS
    WGA and OGA Forum Manager

Stephen Holm
    • Marked as answer by Stephen Holm Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:40 PM
    • Edited by RickImAPC Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:42 PM Validated
    Wednesday, September 3, 2008 10:40 PM
  • I have had the same problem as Rick and have also not received a resolution. 

It is a Microsoft created problem, yet Microsoft is unwilling to resolve it.  The combination of Office 2007 and Outlook Express 6 only provides a French spell check capability in Outlook.  In order to have an English spell check capability, Microsoft forums recommend installing the Office 2003 proofing tools.  Unfortunately after that is done, it is not possible to download templates into Office 2007. 

Cannot someone in Microsoft solve this issue?  If not your department, then another? 

Surely someone can figure out how to answer Rick's question,  "Is there any way at all to launch and run the Office 2003 activation wizard as a standalone utility from outside of any of the primary office programs?  I HAVE a valid Office 2003 product key but I need a method of running the activation wizard so that I have someplace to enter it!"
    Saturday, December 13, 2008 3:12 AM