WHS 2011, WSUS, and reinstalling Windows RRS feed

• Question

• How can I integrate the WHS 2011 client with my Windows 7 install? And for a Brucie Bonus, how can I also automatically get my Windows 7 install to automatically point to the WSUS server I have running on my WHS box?

If I could get that working and enable a PXE boot / install, I'd be in heaven. It would make rebuilding systems vastly quicker.

qts

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:11 PM

All replies

• Not sure what you mean by your first question and I an sure many round here will not understand a "Brucie bonus"! as for WSUS, see here:

http://www.wegotserved.com/2011/12/17/install-windows-server-update-services-windows-home-server-2011-part-2/

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 9:52 PM
  • I don't want to just slipstream the WHS 2011 client, but also have it either pick up or prompt for the WHS 2011 server and use the credentials the installer has used when setting up Windows.

As for WSUS, WHS doesn't support group policy, so I need to explicitly modify the registry during installation, so presumably I need to put a couple of REG ADD lines somewhere in one of the install scripts, but how do I pick up the name of the WHS box?

PS Brucie Bonus refers to Bruce Forsyth, British entertainer and game show host.

qts

Tuesday, October 9, 2012 10:47 PM