none
Home page on WHS? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi! I have a home page on my old 1Ghz computer.
    Now I´m in to uppgrading to a new computer and I wonder if I can use Windiws Home Server as OS on it?
    I´m not that good in this home page stuff so I will get help from a friend (tech) to move the page.
    But is this even possible.
    Havent found any discussuions of this here.

An other thing.
    How do the WHS backup it self?
    I meen if the sys dics craches, how do I get it back with a new drive?

And if I have like 1TB data in the sherd folder how much space will it need to bee secure with the "file duplication program", or what it´s calld?
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 9:53 PM

Answers

• I'm going to point you to the Windows Home Server microsite as the best place to start learning about the product. It will answer a lot of questions that you may not have thought of yet.

As for your questions: Windows Home Server is not a desktop operating system. It's not suitable for installation on a computer that you're going to sit down at, with keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected, and use for regular computing tasks. So it may not be a good fit for your needs, given that it sounds like you will only have the one computer.

You can host a web page of your own on your server, however doing so is not supported, so you would be somewhat on your own. In addition, Windows Home Server has it's own built-in web sites, which you would need to be careful not to interfere with.

Backups: Windows Home Server offers a way to back up files in the shares that it manages. However, because it's not a desktop operating system, and won't have large amounts of software, tweaks, etc. installed, there is no way to back up the system drive. In the event of a system drive failure, you would replace that drive, reinstall Windows Home Server using a special installation mode which will reintegrate other disk drives back into the server's pool of storage, and at the end of the process would recreate users, etc.

Shares: Windows Home Server has a technology called Drive Extender built in. This manages the duplication of files in shares so designated. Since files are duplicated as files, duplication would use space in your storage pool equal to the total size of files in the duplicated shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    • Proposed as answer by kariya21Moderator Thursday, October 1, 2009 4:51 AM
    • Marked as answer by sir_eNo Thursday, October 1, 2009 3:07 PM
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:46 PM
    Now I´m in to uppgrading to a new computer and I wonder if I can use Windiws Home Server as OS on it?
    I´m not that good in this home page stuff so I will get help from a friend (tech) to move the page.

An other thing.

And if I have like 1TB data in the sherd folder how much space will it need to bee secure with the "file duplication program", or what it´s calld?

A small addition to Ken's reply, WHS has a default website which is primarily used for remote access. If you want to add websites of your please checkout Whiist, Website managment Add -in for Windows Home Server from Andrew Grant.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:00 PM

All replies

• I'm going to point you to the Windows Home Server microsite as the best place to start learning about the product. It will answer a lot of questions that you may not have thought of yet.

As for your questions: Windows Home Server is not a desktop operating system. It's not suitable for installation on a computer that you're going to sit down at, with keyboard, mouse, and monitor connected, and use for regular computing tasks. So it may not be a good fit for your needs, given that it sounds like you will only have the one computer.

You can host a web page of your own on your server, however doing so is not supported, so you would be somewhat on your own. In addition, Windows Home Server has it's own built-in web sites, which you would need to be careful not to interfere with.

Backups: Windows Home Server offers a way to back up files in the shares that it manages. However, because it's not a desktop operating system, and won't have large amounts of software, tweaks, etc. installed, there is no way to back up the system drive. In the event of a system drive failure, you would replace that drive, reinstall Windows Home Server using a special installation mode which will reintegrate other disk drives back into the server's pool of storage, and at the end of the process would recreate users, etc.

Shares: Windows Home Server has a technology called Drive Extender built in. This manages the duplication of files in shares so designated. Since files are duplicated as files, duplication would use space in your storage pool equal to the total size of files in the duplicated shares.

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 10:46 PM

An other thing.

A small addition to Ken's reply, WHS has a default website which is primarily used for remote access. If you want to add websites of your please checkout Whiist, Website managment Add -in for Windows Home Server from Andrew Grant.
    Wednesday, September 30, 2009 11:00 PM