Harddrives Detected - But Can't Access Data RRS feed

• Question

• Here's the challenge/mystery: I recently took out the hard drives from my WHS box because I was transporting the box from point A to point B and felt that the HDDs were safer with me.  Then I hooked them back up exactly how they previously were but now the system only reads the HDD with the OS on it.  So it boots to the desktop but I can't access the WHS Console.  Yet, in Admin Tools - Disk Mgmt, it shows all 3 HDDs and that they are "Healthy" and that there's no problems with them.  But when I open up My Computer, only the HDD that appears is the one with the OS.  Thus, I can't access any of the data that is on the other 2 drives.

Furthermore, when I look into the Bios, it shows the primary drive with the OS as being the SLAVE while the other two drives as being the MASTERS.  Which is weird given the fact that none of the drives have any jumpers plugged into them.  I don't know if this has something to do with the overall problem.

Again, I did not change anything in the configuration but need to figure how to correct this issue.   I am aware that if any hardware changes are made within the box that the Profile will change and if not updated, WHS wont let you boot to the desktop or access your data.
    Thanks for any help and assistance in this matter.

• Edited by Jay 2011 Friday, July 15, 2011 9:32 AM
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 7:04 AM

All replies

• Are they SATA drives? It is essential that they are plugged back into the same SATA ports on your motherboard.

Phil P.S. If you find my comment helpful or if it answers your question, please mark it as such.
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 11:07 AM
  • Are they SATA drives? It is essential that they are plugged back into the same SATA ports on your motherboard.

No, Windows Home Server doesn't really care. Normally as long as it can access the drives it can identify them via a file it writes in the root of the drive. And as long as the boot drive is detected at all you will usually not have any problem booting either. Where you run into problems is when you rearrange your drives physically and change the connectors they're attached to. If you then need to reinstall the OS, you can have problems if the system drive isn't the first drive detected.

@ the OP: Drives other than C: and D: not being visible in My Computer on your server is normal and expected behavior. Windows Home Server doesn't access secondary data drives using drive letters, it uses mount points in C:\FS to access the secondary drives. So could you let us know what you've tried so far? 

I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Wednesday, July 13, 2011 1:31 PM
  • The drive with the OS is not SATA but the other two that are not being detected are.  I never changed the SATA cables, so they are plugged into the same ports on the MB.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 4:49 AM
  • Now that you mention it, I do remember that fact that WHS doesn't show each individual drive under My Computer, but it should show the total combined size of all the drives, which it is not doing.  It is just showing the size of the one HDD.

I also am aware of the fact that you don't want to change up cables or hardware configuration, but I didn't do that.  I plugged everything exactly how is was.  I labled every cable and HDD just to make sure.

I'm not sure what to try at this point.  I know my data is there because I can see all the files, just not access any of it.  I wonder if there is a way to copy or change the Hardware Profile (under Computer Properties).

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll keep trying and let you know what happens.

Thursday, July 14, 2011 5:15 AM