R2 migration - SRV record cutover RRS feed

• Question

• Noting the M$ documentation on the SRV record:

The DNS SRV record can point only to a single pool, and in a mixed environment the supported configuration is to use Office Communications Server 2007, Director, with both Office Communications Server 2007 and Office Communications Server 2007 R2 pools. This means that during migration, you should configure DNS records to point to the Office Communications Server 2007 Director. After the Office Communications Server 2007 pool is decommissioned and you have an Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Director in place, you can update the SRV record to the new Office Communications Server 2007 R2 Director. You will need to make the appropriate changes to the _sipinternaltls._tcp DNS record.

Great….if you have a director.  I’m thinking the other option is to leave pilot R2 users/clients as manual config, then cutover the SRV record pointer at the same time as a migration of production users.  Is this a valid solution, or is there another?  Installing another OCS role simply for migration purposes is unpalatable.

Thanks,

Peter
    Friday, May 1, 2009 1:50 AM

Answers

• Peter,

This the exact approach I use and recommend that others use when moving between two pools.  I've done the same in past for LCS to OCS migration as well.  You can use a GPO to configure the Manual Configuration server settings on the pilot workstations unitl the time of full migration.
    Jeff Schertz, PointBridge | MVP | MCITP: Enterprise Messaging | MCTS: OCS
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:26 PM

All replies

• Peter,

This the exact approach I use and recommend that others use when moving between two pools.  I've done the same in past for LCS to OCS migration as well.  You can use a GPO to configure the Manual Configuration server settings on the pilot workstations unitl the time of full migration.
    Friday, May 1, 2009 2:26 PM
  • Thanks Jeff, I appreciate your feedback. 

I do find it hard to understand why M$ are recommending a Director as the only solution.  Real world, people don't have infinite numbers of servers!
    Friday, May 1, 2009 4:18 PM
  • Well that's really the only solution if you need to use Automatic Configuration for ALL clients, but in a pilot>to>migration scenario the above strategy works just great :)
    Friday, May 1, 2009 6:59 PM
  • Leaving the SRV record pointing to the incumbent pool (be it LCS 2005 or OCS 2007) and changing it to the new pool once all users are moved across would be cool as well wouldn't it? This is the approach I've used in most of my migrations.
    Wednesday, May 13, 2009 12:50 PM
  • Leaving the SRV record pointing to the incumbent pool (be it LCS 2005 or OCS 2007) and changing it to the new pool once all users are moved across would be cool as well wouldn't it? This is the approach I've used in most of my migrations.

Also the process i've just used for our R2 migration from R1 (both standard edition).

I migrated all users from R1 to R2 over a few days, leaving the dns record pointing at R1, the R1 server acted as a director until i changed srv records and a-records overnight.

In fact i think this is one of the procedures MS mention in their migration document.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009 7:37 AM