none
hard disk error 301

Question

• My HP  is giving me the error "hard disk 1 SMART (301).  What does this mean?!?!? I just had it worked on and it was restored like it was fresh out of the box and it was fine for about a week now this.... Please!!!

Might I add that I have been trying for 2 hours to run the primary hard disk self test "quick test" and it is still at 2%?? I cannot stress how much I need my laptop for school and how much I am disappointed in HP equipment since this is the second one I have owned in 3 years.....

• Changed type Dee.cox Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:57 PM
    Thursday, May 19, 2011 11:50 PM

All replies

• Sounds like your hard disk is failing and needs to be replaced - take it back to whoever did the previous work.

PS This is a Windows Home Server Forum!

• Proposed as answer by Phil Harrison Friday, May 20, 2011 2:31 AM
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:03 AM
  • Gee... thanks! I signed up so that I could hopefully get an answer to my problems... If you would be so kind as to direct me to the right forum I will remove this one.... however, the guy that done the previous work on this one done wonders.... it atleast boots up now for the most part....
    Friday, May 20, 2011 2:25 AM
  • Sorry, not sure where you should post as I only frequent this forum.
    Friday, May 20, 2011 12:29 PM
  • Hi

I have had 3 W.D. 1.5TB green drives fail with either 301 or smart failure in the last 8 months.  W. Digital say that they do not recommend anything other than their black drives for servers.  This was the first time I had tried green drives. WD replaced all three still under warranty for black ones which I have never had a problem in the past.  One of the reasons they give is some drives are susceptible to brown out or heat.  I use APC UPS so not brown out, but it can get warm so I suspect heat the culprit.  How warm is your drive area and do you use UPS?

Anthony
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:42 PM
  • as an add on you can probably access the data if you turn off the smart in bios and probably there will have been data damage.
    Anthony
    Thursday, August 18, 2011 12:54 PM
  • solving the  smart disk error 301 hp.(working on my)
    I have a hp g72 ...new from 2011..after 2 or 3 months i ve seen this error..
    the trouble is at the boot from the bios.It doesn t see ur Hdd as a bootable device..my solving is simple,
    1.insert a bootable cd(even a blank one)..but bootable.
    2.set the cd drive as first boot device in bios..and when the pc is starting it will show 
    PRESS ANY KEY TO BOOT FROM CD... 
    3.don t press anything...leave it like this...and after it will start normally.

success.My HP is working like this for more than 1 year.
    Wednesday, December 19, 2012 8:25 PM