1-N relationship with the Subject entity? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi there,

I have a client who is requesting that for contacts, we should be able to tick their areas of responsibility. For example: Support Contracts, .NET Development, etc.

Originally the client thought of doing this with about 16 check-boxes in a dedicated section of the contact form. However, I reckon that a grid view would be better in this case, showing a relationship with a custom entity. But then I thought: Why not use the Subject entity for this?

However it seems to me that I can't create a relationship with the Subject entity. Could someone please confirm?

Also, if I go down the road of using entity relationship instead of a bunch of checkboxes, I reckon it would be harder to query records based on such areas of responsibility. Am I correct? What I mean is: Can I create a view that filter contacts based on the selected areas of responsibility, if areas of responsibility is in fact a 1-N relationship between contact and area of responsibility ?

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Regards,
    P.

• Edited by pmdci Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:37 PM
    Wednesday, March 14, 2012 2:27 PM

Answers

• It does appear that you cannot create a 1:N relationship between Contact and Subject.

If you do end up making a custom entity, you can create views that filter based on that relationship. For example in the advanced find from Contact you would choose your custom entity under the Related section of the fields to start. Then from the fields list you would select the entity name rather than a field name from the list and set the condition to Equals and the select the specific custom entity from a lookup. This would find any Contacts that have that particular custom entity values associated to them via this relationship. 

You can also adjust the find query and add "AND" and/or "OR" conditions as needed. 

Jason Lattimer

• Proposed as answer by JLattimerMVP, Moderator Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by pmdci Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:57 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:17 AM

All replies

• It does appear that you cannot create a 1:N relationship between Contact and Subject.

If you do end up making a custom entity, you can create views that filter based on that relationship. For example in the advanced find from Contact you would choose your custom entity under the Related section of the fields to start. Then from the fields list you would select the entity name rather than a field name from the list and set the condition to Equals and the select the specific custom entity from a lookup. This would find any Contacts that have that particular custom entity values associated to them via this relationship. 

You can also adjust the find query and add "AND" and/or "OR" conditions as needed. 

Jason Lattimer

• Proposed as answer by JLattimerMVP, Moderator Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:17 AM
    • Marked as answer by pmdci Thursday, March 15, 2012 10:57 PM
    Thursday, March 15, 2012 3:17 AM
  • Hi Jason,

Thanks for the reply. I decided I will go on and create a new entity then.

Cheers,

P.

MCC, MCP, MCTS
    If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".

Friday, March 16, 2012 12:52 PM