none
Remove Propose as Answer from self post RRS feed

• Question

• Seems like a lot of people are getting confused on this feature (you're not suppose to click you own replay as an answer).  You should likely remove this link/option from a self posted reply.
    CJG Twitter: http://twitter.com/givenscj
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 6:34 PM

Answers

All replies

• Removing self-propose from regular responders is so obviously a good idea, that it it is incomprehensible to many that it is allowed to continue. But it is.

My specific proposal:

1. Nobody should be allowed to mark their own post as answer.

2. Nobody except OP and moderator should be allowed to propose their own post as answer.

This would both remove self-marking (which many find both offensive and confusing), and enable proposals to be used as a valid indicator of a thread that needs attention from the OP or a moderator (a different moderator in the case of moderator self-propose).

As it is there are threads that have been self-marked that have not really answered the question (and/or the correct person has not received credit), and there are threads that contain self-proposals that do not mean anything (because some responders routinely self-propose their own answers).

David Wilkinson | Visual C++ MVP
    Sunday, December 6, 2009 7:23 PM
  • Wow, I would have to hope that that stuff really doesn't happen, but I'm glad you brought it up.  I'm make sure to watch for any of these anomalies with my replies and posts in the SharePoint forums.

I do think that the "Mark as Answer" should be eliminated from a self post though.

Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Monday, December 7, 2009 6:35 AM
  • No, a moderator shouldn't be able to approve his/her own post as a solution either, unethical.
    Chris Givens CEO, Architecting Connected Systems Blog Twitter
    Friday, December 11, 2009 9:31 PM
  • Agreed
    John Grove - TFD Group, Senior Software Engineer, EI Division, http://www.tfdg.com
    Sunday, December 13, 2009 7:09 PM