SQL Server CRM installation Operating System Error 32 RRS feed

• Question

• So I am trying to install CRM server on Windows Server 2008 R2. I have a SQL 2012 R0 Server running on the same box. Every time I get near the end of the CRM setup, it throws this error:

Unable to Open the Physical File: "C:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL11.MSSQLSERVER\MSSQL\DATA\Crm_MSCRM.mdf". Operating System Error 32: "32(The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process.)".

I used Process Explorer and determined that sqlserver.exe was using the file. The problem is, if I kill that process, CRM installation fails because it not cannot find the SQL server. What do I do?

Monday, December 12, 2011 6:18 PM

All replies

• Based on Microsoft Dynamics CRM 2011 Planning Guide following SQL Server editions are supported.

SQL Server editions

Any one of the following Microsoft SQL Server editions is required and must be installed on a Windows Server 2008 64-bit or later version, running, and available for Microsoft Dynamics CRM:

·        Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Standard Edition, x64 SP1 or later version

·        Microsoft SQL Server 2008, Enterprise Edition, x64 SP1 or later version

·        Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Datacenter x64 SP1 or later version

·        Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer x64 SP1 or later version (for non-production environments only)

Important

·        32-bit versions of SQL Server 2008 database engine or Reporting Services are not supported for this version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

·        Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Workgroup, Web, Compact, or Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Express Edition editions are not supported for running Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2011.

·        Microsoft SQL Server 2000 and Microsoft SQL Server 2005 editions and are not supported for this version of Microsoft Dynamics CRM.

·        Running 64-bit SQL Server 2008 versions for Itanium (IA-64) systems in conjunction with Microsoft Dynamics CRM will receive commercially reasonable support. Commercially reasonable support is defined as all reasonable support efforts by Microsoft Customer Service and Support that do not require Microsoft Dynamics CRM code fixes. Microsoft Dynamics CRM Server 2011 supports a named instance of SQL Server for configuration and organization databases.

Thomas T(MCBMSS) If you find this post helpful then please "Vote as Helpful" and "Mark As Answer".
    Tuesday, December 13, 2011 4:26 AM
  • I had a similar problem. I don't know why it happens but here are the steps I used to get the installation working:

1. Stop the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service.
    2. Delete the mdf file.
    3. Start the SQL Server (MSSQLSERVER) service.
    4. Go back one step in the CRM installation and then proceed to the checklist. You may get a transport-level error while SQL is restarting, just retry the checklist step.

I realise it's a long time since you originally posted, but hopefully this helps anyone else having the same problem.

• Proposed as answer by wardey Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:54 PM
    Friday, May 11, 2012 9:08 AM
  • Hi,

Just add the SQL port to firewall in inbound and outbound rule. Remove the MDF file and restart the SQL server services. Have you installed SQL server 2012 64 Bit, because CRM 2011 supports only 64 bit both Windows Server and SQL Server.

Thanks & Regards, MS CRM Consultant, V.Surya.

Friday, May 11, 2012 9:18 AM
    Answerer
  • Sometimes a restart can fix the problem.

Ive had this error a few times. Most times a reboot fixed the problem.

Friday, June 22, 2012 12:31 PM
  • Also posting with something to add to Paul's' response above, in case someone else has this issue (I just did).

During the install there was another SQL Server process in addition to (MSSQLSERVER), which was SQL Server (CRM). Once I stopped this process I was able to delete the mdf and resume the installation.

• Edited by BrianWard Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:22 PM Clarify which post I was responding to
    Wednesday, May 29, 2013 10:19 PM
  • Thanks Paul! Worked for me :)

• Edited by wardey Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:55 PM
    Thursday, January 8, 2015 1:55 PM
  • Thanks Wardey, it's work for me.
    Wednesday, January 18, 2017 9:48 AM