Setting up a Bell Sympatico DSL SpeadStream 6520 RRS feed

• Question

•  My ISp is Bell Sympatico, and I have one of their combination modem wireless router with 4 port hubs.

My Home server is connected directly to the router. I can't seem to get the router set up to allow for Remote Access.

I'm not sure if I should be turning off UPnP and manually configuring the router or leave UPnP on.

Has anyone got Remote access working using this hardware? If so I would love to know exactly how you configured the router.

Thanks,
    Dave
    Dave Lloyd
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:27 PM

Answers

• I can't speak directly to whether your router supports UPnP configuration. Even if the manufacturer claims it does, it may only support a subset of the functionality that WHS requires. But if it doesn't fully support UPnP, or if you prefer to configure your router manually for increased security (there are some potnetial issues with UPnP), you'll find instructions for forwarding ports on your specific router on the web site portforward.com.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:38 PM

All replies

• I can't speak directly to whether your router supports UPnP configuration. Even if the manufacturer claims it does, it may only support a subset of the functionality that WHS requires. But if it doesn't fully support UPnP, or if you prefer to configure your router manually for increased security (there are some potnetial issues with UPnP), you'll find instructions for forwarding ports on your specific router on the web site portforward.com.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, February 16, 2009 6:38 PM
  • Thanks for the response. I have checked that page before. My Router is there but not Windows Home Server. I have tried to forward the ports that Home Server tells me to in the documentation but it still never works. 

I figure I can't be the only one out there on Bell Sympatico with a Home Server who wants remote access. 

Dave  
    Dave Lloyd
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:19 AM
  • Dlloyd said:

Thanks for the response. I have checked that page before. My Router is there but not Windows Home Server. I have tried to forward the ports that Home Server tells me to in the documentation but it still never works. 

I figure I can't be the only one out there on Bell Sympatico with a Home Server who wants remote access. 

Dave  

Dave Lloyd

Perhaps your ISP is blocking ports.  You could try checking Shields Up! and see what the results are for ports 80, 443, and 4125.
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 2:32 AM
  • Thanks again for the response.

It looksl like perhaps port 4125 is closed. When I called an asked them about blocked ports they told me they didn't block any. Mind you they were not much help at all.

Dave
    Dave Lloyd
    Tuesday, February 17, 2009 1:02 PM
  • Dlloyd said:

Thanks again for the response.

It looksl like perhaps port 4125 is closed. When I called an asked them about blocked ports they told me they didn't block any. Mind you they were not much help at all.

Dave

Dave Lloyd

4125 being closed is normal when your server is properly configured for Remote Access.  What were the results for the other 2 ports?
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 1:55 AM
  • The other two ports were open.

Dave
    Dave Lloyd
    Wednesday, February 18, 2009 4:50 AM
  • Dlloyd said:

The other two ports were open.

Dave

Dave Lloyd

That's also correct.  Can you access your server from inside your LAN (http://server)?  (Replace server with the name of your server)
    Thursday, February 19, 2009 4:03 AM