none
Test and production deployment RRS feed

• Question

• Hello,

it is more general deployment/development question so I hope it is right forum to get it.

We have three branches - DEV for development, MAIN for integration and stabilization and RELEASE for maintenance. Our customer send to us their requirements and when each requirement is completed it is merged from DEV to MAIN branch. When all requirements are completed there is testing phase on MAIN branch and when testing is completed we create new release branch from MAIN and deploy it on test environment. 

When customer says test version is ok then same release is deployed to production environment. When test branch is created we have two release branches at same time - one is for test version and second for product version. 

Scenario:

In day 1 we deploy test version to test environment. In day 2 there is critical bug in product version. When bug is repaired in production release branch it must be checked by customer so we need to deploy it into test environment. But we deploy test version yesterday which can be incompatible with product version. How we can deploy fixed production version  to test? 

I see to create third environment - copy of production. But it is very hard to do it because we have more than 60 databases in one environment so there are more than 120 databases in both environment. It is very hard to maintain it and it takes a lot of disk spaces. 

Customer test can take more than 14 days. 

Second problem is when there is small but critical bug as typing error in stored procedure. We can fixed it very quick and then we can deploy it to product environment directly. But we need to merge it back to main and dev branches and to release branch which is actual test version moreover. But then we deploy to product environment something else than we deployed to test environment. 

How to work with these issues? It is real example from practice. As I mention it is more general discussion so I don't want to know what is best practice but I'm interested it how you do it your companies, how you manage your release management when you have two customer environments beside. As I mentioned we deliver complete bag of requirements in one release. Would be better to deliver small set of requirements (i.e. what is completed in one day) as continuous delivered?

I'm interested in your opinion. 

Thanks.

Saturday, April 7, 2018 7:09 AM

Answers

All replies