none
Should I take the 70-536 exam before the 70-511? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi All,

I am planning a career change, to become a Windows Developer. I have very little experience in software development. I have done some VB programming many years ago in uni. I understand the basic concepts of development, but that’s about it

I am really keen and passionate to do this and willing to put the work in to achieve my goal. I do appreciate that all the exams require you to have at least one year’s experience, however I think I could get around this by developing at home as a hobby, or finding small projects to do, to get the practice. I am looking to get the latest certification i.e. Ver 4.

I work for an ISP and we have a Sys Dev department which I am keen to get into as a junior developer.  If I can prove to them I have what it takes and pass at least one exam, I could hopefully get a position as a Junior Developer! J

My questions are...

1.       Given my background, should I complete exam 70-536 before 70-511?

2.       I have bought this book - http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Visual-2010-Step/dp/0735626707/ and I am working through the chapters. A little confusing but I’m getting there.

3.       I plan to self study due to limited finances and time, is there any other reading  material/videos/tutorials/training kits that I should use?

4.       Correct me if I am wrong. Would it be easier to learn by taking on small projects and learning this way. Are there any websites that have small project questions that I can answer to improve my knowledge?

I look forward to your replies and thank you in advance for all your help, it is very much appreciated.

Tuesday, February 1, 2011 10:00 AM

Answers

• If you only want the certification, then you don't need to take 70-536; it's enough to pass 70-511 in order to attain the MCTS: Web developer 4.

However, if you are pursuing a job as a web developer, acquiring the knowledge that you would need in order to pass 70-536 will be very useful in order to improve and complete your ability to develop applicactions under the .Net platform. So even if you decide not to take the exam, I would still recommend that you at least read the materials that are available for preparing the exam. This knowledge is useful.

The book that you bought will teach you the programming language itself, but it does not teach how to write ASP.NET applications. I suggest getting some additional materials to cover ASP.NET. One resource that I recommend is www.asp.net. Go to this site and examine that various tutorials available there. There are plenty of videos and documents that you can use. Also, the Trainink Kits from Microsoft Press are usually good, but I haven't yet seen the one for 70-511: http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Self-Paced-Training-Exam-70-511/dp/0735627428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296589415&sr=8-1 (expected to be available next week).

It is a good idea to take on small projects, and it will greatly help you to learn, but it is not enough. You still have to study advanced techniques, which you would probably not use in small projects, but they are covered in the books and other training materials.

• Marked as answer by shazzy247 Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:45 PM

All replies

• If you only want the certification, then you don't need to take 70-536; it's enough to pass 70-511 in order to attain the MCTS: Web developer 4.

However, if you are pursuing a job as a web developer, acquiring the knowledge that you would need in order to pass 70-536 will be very useful in order to improve and complete your ability to develop applicactions under the .Net platform. So even if you decide not to take the exam, I would still recommend that you at least read the materials that are available for preparing the exam. This knowledge is useful.

The book that you bought will teach you the programming language itself, but it does not teach how to write ASP.NET applications. I suggest getting some additional materials to cover ASP.NET. One resource that I recommend is www.asp.net. Go to this site and examine that various tutorials available there. There are plenty of videos and documents that you can use. Also, the Trainink Kits from Microsoft Press are usually good, but I haven't yet seen the one for 70-511: http://www.amazon.com/MCTS-Self-Paced-Training-Exam-70-511/dp/0735627428/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1296589415&sr=8-1 (expected to be available next week).

It is a good idea to take on small projects, and it will greatly help you to learn, but it is not enough. You still have to study advanced techniques, which you would probably not use in small projects, but they are covered in the books and other training materials.

• Marked as answer by shazzy247 Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:42 PM
    Tuesday, February 1, 2011 7:45 PM
  • Thank you very much for your response Alberto. I think I will take your advice and study for 70-536 before attempting 70-511.
    Thursday, February 3, 2011 3:43 PM