locked
WHS data corruption bug question RRS feed

  • Question

  •  

    Hello:

     

    In regards to the data corruption bug with Windows Home Server; I have done some reading and am aware that this may not be fixed until June; also I have read in the Knowledge Base article that this only affects systems with two hard disks.

     

    My question is simple and likely stupid, but I just want to get this right so I don't waste money/time/frustration.

     

    If I were to buy the HP EX475 MediaSmart Home Server (which has two 500 GB HDD). Would it be simple enough for me to just remove one disk drive and then wait for the patch to put the second disk back in? And thus avoid this problem in the meantime?

     

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 1:40 AM

Answers

  • In reply to the original question, yes, there is no reason why you shouldn't just use the Console and remove one of the hard drives from the storage pool. Best to do it during initial setup, before any data is transferred to the sever.

    If you haven't bought the HP unit yet, possibly a better option would be to buy one with just one TB hard drive, use it now, and then install another drive in June-ish, prices will have dropped a little by then.

     

    Colin

     

    As kariya21 says, it's just the fact of having more than one drive, which can, in certain circumstances, trigger the corruption bug. The fact of working on files on the server, just exacerbates the likelihood..

     

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:09 AM

All replies

  • I have been using the WHS for about 6 months now and have not experienced any of the data corruptions that some people have been experiencing.

     

    But from what I understand it only affects when folder duplication is turned on and files are being edited directly on the server.  So instead of taking one of the drives out just don’t set any of your folders to the mirrored state.  Also this bug hasn’t been reported in the best feature of WHS, Computer Backup.  The simple fact that the 4 computers in my house are backed up on a daily bases makes WHS the single best piece of computer equipment I have bought in years.

     

     

     

     

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:15 AM
  •  Jer9935 wrote:
    I have been using the WHS for about 6 months now and have not experienced any of the data corruptions that some people have been experiencing.

    But from what I understand it only affects when folder duplication is turned on

     

     

    No, that is not correct.  The data corruption bug can affect any system that is using more than one hard drive in the storage pool (folder dup or not).

     

     Jer9935 wrote:
    and files are being edited directly on the server.  So instead of taking one of the drives out just don’t set any of your folders to the mirrored state.  Also this bug hasn’t been reported in the best feature of WHS, Computer Backup.  The simple fact that the 4 computers in my house are backed up on a daily bases makes WHS the single best piece of computer equipment I have bought in years.

     

    I have not experienced the corruption either (and I am using 2 drives).  The only thing I don't do is edit any file while it is in a share on the server (I copy it from the server to my desktop, edit it there, then copy it back when I'm done).

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 3:37 AM
    Moderator
  • In reply to the original question, yes, there is no reason why you shouldn't just use the Console and remove one of the hard drives from the storage pool. Best to do it during initial setup, before any data is transferred to the sever.

    If you haven't bought the HP unit yet, possibly a better option would be to buy one with just one TB hard drive, use it now, and then install another drive in June-ish, prices will have dropped a little by then.

     

    Colin

     

    As kariya21 says, it's just the fact of having more than one drive, which can, in certain circumstances, trigger the corruption bug. The fact of working on files on the server, just exacerbates the likelihood..

     

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 10:09 AM
  •  ColinWH wrote:
    In reply to the original question, yes, there is no reason why you shouldn't just use the Console and remove one of the hard drives from the storage pool. Best to do it during initial setup, before any data is transferred to the sever.

     

    Good point, thank you! I had intended to remove the HDD before starting the computer for the first time (after recieving it). I think this would address your point.

     

     ColinWH wrote:
    If you haven't bought the HP unit yet, possibly a better option would be to buy one with just one TB hard drive, use it now, and then install another drive in June-ish, prices will have dropped a little by then.

     

    I may do that; there appears to be two models of the HP; a single 500 GB drive vs. dual 500 500 GB drives for an additional $100; seems like a decent deal. Honestly, I should just wait altogether, but I really need to replace my current ad hoc PC that I am using as a "server" in my home... the drives are making sounds that make me constantly nervous that I'm going to lose all my data.

     

     ColinWH wrote:
    The fact of working on files on the server, just exacerbates the likelihood..

     

    That's what I read, and unfortunately, this is precisely what I intend to do (and I use at least 5 of the known programs that are associated with this problem). But, it seems from some reading that in reality, you're just as likely to have a problem from some other problem as well.

     

    Thanks!

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008 11:35 AM