How to upgrade HDD? RRS feed

• Question

• I originally buit my WHS with a 120GB primary disk and another 200GB disk.  How can I upgrade the 200GB to a larger size?  Usually I would would back up the data on the disk, install the new one and restore.  As WHS appears to treat disks as contiguous space is this method still valid?
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 4:28 AM

Answers

• If you have a spot to install the new drive, at least temporarily, install it, make it part of the storage pool and let balancing complete.  Then, using the administrator console, remove the old drive from the pool (unless you want to keep it for additional space) and wait for it to tell you that it is safe to remove the drive.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Can you use that same process for the drive with the O.S on it? If not can you use the restore discs. Although I haven't seen anywhere where the WHS backs itself up.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:32 PM

All replies

• If you have a spot to install the new drive, at least temporarily, install it, make it part of the storage pool and let balancing complete.  Then, using the administrator console, remove the old drive from the pool (unless you want to keep it for additional space) and wait for it to tell you that it is safe to remove the drive.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 6:00 PM
  • Can you use that same process for the drive with the O.S on it? If not can you use the restore discs. Although I haven't seen anywhere where the WHS backs itself up.
    Tuesday, June 26, 2007 7:32 PM