none
WHS New Install RRS feed

• Question

• So I'm trying to set up WHS on an old PC and use it as a media/file server. I have 3 SATA HDDs in the box...2 1.5TB and 1 1TB. I've added two of the three HDDs to my storage which now claims that it has 2.2 TB free yet when I try to move files into storage, I'm told the disk is out of space. Any tips for a WHS newb?

Not sure if this is relevant but the machine is pre SATA so I've installed a few SATA cards to manage the HDDs. The main system drive, however, is the original IDE drive that came with the machine. Also, when I look at properties on the storage drive, even though it claims to have 2.2 TB free, the little pie chart is all the way full and the used space is just a bunch of random characters rather than anything meaningful. Finally, even though it claims to have 2.2TB free, it also claims that it's capacity is 91GB, which is on the order of the 110GB IDE drive that the OS is installed on.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:37 PM

Answers

• Thanks, Olaf. I knew I was doing something wrong in a very basic way. That solved my problem. While I'm asking beginner questions, I thought I'd see if anyone out there could help me with my second step. As I said, I'm using that machine as a media server. Now, for better or for worse, I'm using Apple TV at the TV side and streaming audio/video through it. I've made the unfortunate discovery that WHS does not support iTunes but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the built in media server to stream to Apple TV. If not, I can always share the drives to my desktop PC and stream from there, but that's not a very elegant solution.

Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by TDPac Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:22 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:41 PM

All replies

• Did you use the Windows Home Server Console to add the two 1.5TB to the storage pool?  Using the control panel to add the disks will not work with WHS.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 8:54 PM
  • Yep, I used the Console. Even rebooted after adding and tried removing and adding again but no luck yet.
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:12 PM
  • Please run Update Now... in the server console until you don't get any additional updates. And turn on Automatic Updates if you've turned them off.
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Sunday, December 20, 2009 11:37 PM
  • Yeah, tried that too I'm afraid. It's a new install so I went with Automatic Updates when I installed it since I knew I was in over my head. However, I haven't let it run the update that installs the newest version of Internet Explorer. Guess I can do that just to ensure nothing wacky is going on.
    Monday, December 21, 2009 1:14 AM
  • How do you move the files to the storage?
    Never do that locally via d:\shares on the server (this would break the data handling by WHS and lead to effects like you described them) - always use the UNC path \\server\sharename (or the shortcut Shared folders on server).
    Best greetings from Germany
    What is the version number shown in the console under Settings/Ressources?
    Olaf
    Monday, December 21, 2009 11:22 AM
  • Thanks, Olaf. I knew I was doing something wrong in a very basic way. That solved my problem. While I'm asking beginner questions, I thought I'd see if anyone out there could help me with my second step. As I said, I'm using that machine as a media server. Now, for better or for worse, I'm using Apple TV at the TV side and streaming audio/video through it. I've made the unfortunate discovery that WHS does not support iTunes but I'm wondering if it's possible to use the built in media server to stream to Apple TV. If not, I can always share the drives to my desktop PC and stream from there, but that's not a very elegant solution.

Thanks!
    • Marked as answer by TDPac Tuesday, December 22, 2009 4:22 PM
    Monday, December 21, 2009 10:41 PM