Problems with crawling alternative content from SWFObject / Object / Embed tags RRS feed

• Question

• I know I am not the first to post this, but as a webmaster I consider this to be critical feedback for MSN Search on the behavior and acquisition patterns of MSNBot.

In order to index information from SWFObject (a commonly used JS library for instantiating Flash objects universally), and object / embed tags, the crawler must index the information included inside the div tag as alternative content. 

Standard best practice to get this content indexed on Google / Yahoo has always been to replicate the text and links VERBATIM from the SWF / flash file and include them as alternative content.

If MSNbot does not spider this content, MSN search will be missing a significant portion of the web.

If anyone (Brent) has a response to this for how to get this content indexed, can you please post here for our edification?

My 2cents,

Thanks!
    Jeffrey R.
    jeff@webmindsolutions.com
    Friday, April 11, 2008 7:07 PM

Answers

•  

Hi,

I'll preface this by saying that I don't know much about this because I don't use flash on my sites, so please educate me if I am glaringly wrong, but looking at the SWFObject specifications, I don't see why MSNbot wouldn't crawl the html. I couldn't find anything definitive that says we don't crawl this content. I also don't know if this falls under our cloaking guidelines--that question seems to be an eternal debate that has yet to be fully addressed.

Brett

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:57 PM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I'll preface this by saying that I don't know much about this because I don't use flash on my sites, so please educate me if I am glaringly wrong, but looking at the SWFObject specifications, I don't see why MSNbot wouldn't crawl the html. I couldn't find anything definitive that says we don't crawl this content. I also don't know if this falls under our cloaking guidelines--that question seems to be an eternal debate that has yet to be fully addressed.

Brett

Friday, April 11, 2008 8:57 PM
  • I may have to go to webmaster world or something with this- we need to get either or both:
    1) a crawler developer or product mgr from msn to explain how it works
    2) webmasters who have gotten their swfobject content crawled successfully by the msnbot

please any of you, come to the thread!
    Monday, April 14, 2008 7:32 PM