Wireless transfer speeds? RRS feed

• Question

• Hi all

Couldnt find a section for networking so thought it best to post here:
    I have been using my WHS for a while now and notice that the transfer speeds of files from a PC to the shared folders seem to take ages, I have a wireless router (N class) and the WHS is hard wired to it as is my main PC, I have my 360 and PS3 using static IP addresses to make my life easier ;) but when I use one of my lappys (which also use Wireless N adapters it takes around 10 minutes to move 1GB of data into a shared folder is this normal.
    all OS's have updates etc and the router and adapters have all the firmware/driver updates available.

Thanks in advance
    Thursday, December 31, 2009 8:27 AM

Answers

• It all depends on your specific hardware, but yes, I'd say that 10 minutes to transfer a GB of data is probably not unreasonable. How many walls are there between the laptop and the WAP? Distance? Is the WAP configured for N only?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:33 AM

All replies

• anyone??
    Sunday, January 3, 2010 6:55 PM
  • It all depends on your specific hardware, but yes, I'd say that 10 minutes to transfer a GB of data is probably not unreasonable. How many walls are there between the laptop and the WAP? Distance? Is the WAP configured for N only?
    I'm not on the WHS team, I just post a lot. :)
    Monday, January 4, 2010 1:33 AM
  • Well my router is in my converted loft room where my server and main PC are and the lappy, xbox360 and PS3 are on the ground floor your only looking about 7-10 metres away as the 360 and ps3 are practically directly under (2 floors away) Wireless router supports N and the various methods of G
    Friday, January 8, 2010 12:22 PM
  • If I understand this correctly the xbox 360 and the PS3 are wireless?
    Remember, the more wireless devices you have, the less performance...
    Cable is always better if possible. In your case, if you have your game consoles at fixed locations, you might consider using LAN and not WLAN?
    Friday, January 8, 2010 2:49 PM
  • I'd say 10 mins is about right, I am using Wireless G at present and my router is connected hard wired to a 100mbps router and it takes me about 15-20mins to send over a 1gb file, it might also be quicked if your a.) not using any other device connected to the internet, wired or wireless and b:) you do not touch your laptop that your using to send the file to WHS
    HMG
    Saturday, January 9, 2010 12:54 AM