none
"IoT" Certification RRS feed

• Question

• Hopefully this question is acceptable based on this being the "IoT for Windows" forum, but if not please feel free to suggest another area so that I can re-post.

I've been tasked by management to seek out, and obtain "IoT Certification".  We all know that IoT is a mix of a number of different concepts, and that the technology possibilities are endless, but is anyone aware of any (accredited) certifications available out there?  I've found a number of "Certified IoT Professional/Analyst/Developer" type certs, but all from organizations and/or schools I've never heard of.  Is there a specific Microsoft track/certification that would cover IoT concepts, as well as maybe Azure IoT services?

Thanks,
    Jay

Wednesday, October 3, 2018 6:43 PM

Answers

• My question was originally about what certifications exist for those looking to get into IoT, or what certifications specifically contain areas of focus on IoT (Azure IoT Hub etc.). Unfortunately, it does not appear that this is an easy question to answer, and as I was informed, this is not the correct section to have posted this.  Therefore, rather than having people follow general Microsoft certification links that we've already looked through, only to find that it does not lead to an answer to the specific IoT question, I'm posting this follow-up and effectively closing the thread.

Thanks,
    Jason

• Marked as answer by MS_Convert Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:19 PM

All replies

• Hello MS_Convert,

AFAIK, the certification can be used to authenticate clients, encrypt communication between sender and receiver etc.

In Azure IoT Hub, a device may either use an X.509 certificate or a security token for authentication. In order to establish a TLS connection, Azure uses the DigiCert Baltimore Root Certificate to secure the connection.

Azure IoT Hub supported the following certificates:

• An existing X.509 certificate. A device may already have an X.509 certificate associated with it. The device can use this certificate to authenticate with IoT Hub. Works with either thumbprint or CA authentication.

• CA-signed X.509 certificate. To identify a device and authenticate it with IoT Hub, you can use an X.509 certificate generated and signed by a Certification Authority (CA). Works with either thumbprint or CA authentication.

• A self-generated and self-signed X-509 certificate. A device manufacturer or in-house deployer can generate these certificates and store the corresponding private key (and certificate) on the device. You can use tools such as OpenSSL and Windows SelfSignedCertificate utility for this purpose. Only works with thumbprint authentication.

If you are interest in IoT security you can reference the following documents:

"Internet of Things security architecture"

"Internet of Things security best practices"

"Secure your IoT deployment"

"Internet of Things security from the ground up"

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Thursday, October 4, 2018 3:05 AM
  • Hi Rita,

Thank you very much for your reply, but I was asking about personal certification.  Looking for either an accredited certificate or certification for myself.  For example, like an MCT or MCSE but specifically for IoT, or with a strong focus in IoT.

Thank you again for your reply!

Jay

Thursday, October 4, 2018 12:40 PM
  • Hello MS_Convert,

This forum is for discussions of apps and driver development on versions of Windows that run on a variety of development boards like Raspberry Pi 2 and MinnowBoard MAX for developing smart, connected devices and IoT solutions.

If you are talking about

"Microsoft Certified Solutions Expert (MCSE) – these certifications show the skills to design and build advanced solutions which integrate multiple Microsoft technologies - requires MCSA prerequisite". Reference wiki.

Maybe you can check "Become a Microsoft Certified Professional".

If you have any problem in development on Windows IoT, welcome to post your issue.

Best regards,

Rita

MSDN Community Support
    Please remember to click "Mark as Answer" the responses that resolved your issue, and to click "Unmark as Answer" if not. This can be beneficial to other community members reading this thread. If you have any compliments or complaints to MSDN Support, feel free to contact MSDNFSF@microsoft.com.

Monday, October 8, 2018 5:29 AM
  • My question was originally about what certifications exist for those looking to get into IoT, or what certifications specifically contain areas of focus on IoT (Azure IoT Hub etc.). Unfortunately, it does not appear that this is an easy question to answer, and as I was informed, this is not the correct section to have posted this.  Therefore, rather than having people follow general Microsoft certification links that we've already looked through, only to find that it does not lead to an answer to the specific IoT question, I'm posting this follow-up and effectively closing the thread.

Thanks,
    Jason

• Marked as answer by MS_Convert Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:20 PM
    Wednesday, October 10, 2018 1:19 PM